PE Teacher and Outdoor Learning Coordinator
Are you passionate about the benefits of physical education and how it can improve children and young people’s wellbeing?
We are looking for a PE teacher who has a passion for delivering high quality outdoor and adventurous activities alongside a broad PE curriculum for our students in KS3 - KS4.
Our academy in Hornchurch supports 64 young people aged between 11 and 16 who have been permanently excluded from school. We believe that working with excluded children and with young people who have not thrived in a mainstream setting is immensely rewarding. We can offer a place of work where staff and colleagues share a determination to improve the outcomes for excluded and vulnerable children.
Our ideal candidate is an experienced teacher who can inspire our students and develop their physical and emotional resilience.
A teacher who will:
• Plan and teach innovative, exciting lessons which engage children and young people age 11 to 16 - including those facing barriers to learning and those with social emotional, mental and health needs.
• Inspire our KS3 to KS4 students – share with them a passion for sports, challenge and outdoor learning and offer a range of accredited qualifications e.g. sport leaders, FA qualifications, BTEC/VCert/GCSE PE or Sports Studies
• Promote participation, enjoyment and performance as core values, engaging reluctant learners and students at all levels of ability
• Work closely with your colleagues to embed high quality outdoor learning activities into our academy’s curriculum – helping to plan and manage expeditionary learning activities.
• Understand the benefits of outdoor learning and be able to measure the effects/ impact of outdoor learning on our students’ wellbeing and progress.
• Be a role model to our students, showing leadership, resilience, and empathy.
Our recently refurbished academy in Hornchurch offers an impressive range of facilities including state-of-the-art classrooms, a science laboratory, a canteen, a multi-purpose hall, atrium, extensive teaching kitchens, gardens and a multi-sports pitch. We welcome visits from potential candidates.
You can find out more about our network of alternative provision academies and our work at www.oliveacademies.org.uk
Application deadline is Monday 27 January 2020 - Midday
Interviews to be held at our academy in Hornchurch, Havering on Thursday 6 February 2020
Please get in touch with Ray Lawrence, Headteacher if you would like to arrange a visit or need any further information.
E: firstname.lastname@example.org T: 01708 478892
You can download an application form and recruitment pack at www.oliveacademies.org.uk/working-with-us/
Completed application forms should be emailed to email@example.com
Olive Academies is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and we expect all our staff to share this commitment. We will implement robust recruitment procedures and checks for appointing staff and volunteers to ensure that reasonable steps are taken not to appoint a person who is unsuitable to work with children, or who is disqualified from working with children, or does not have the suitable skills and experience for the role.
Essential educational requirements
First degree or equivalent.
DfE recognised qualified teacher status/Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills.
Essential skills and experience
A detailed understanding of the physical education national curriculum demands including outdoor and adventurous activities– and how it can improve students’ wellbeing and progress.
A solid understanding of a range of teaching and learning strategies and a good understanding of current pedagogical thinking.
Evidence of recent successful teaching experience in PE, Sports and/or Outdoor Learning.
Excellent leader/ teacher with the ability to reflect on lessons and continually improve their own practice. Lessons are consistently judged to be good or better.
Effective and systematic behaviour management – experience of using de-escalation techniques in a school/ education setting
Evidence of leading students in challenging outdoor settings and activities.
Experience of supporting all aspects of inclusion to successfully meet the needs of pupils with complex special educational, social and emotional needs.
Experience of working collaboratively with others.
At Olive Academies we can offer you…
- a close and supportive team in a working environment where your wellbeing is a priority
- access to a range of employee benefits to support health and wellbeing including Cycle Scheme, PerkBox, MyGym, Employee Assistance Programme and more
- high quality CPD, strong links to mainstream schools and opportunities for career progression
- an organisation which is values driven and has children at the centre of everything we do
- the freedom to be innovative without the constraints of a mainstream curriculum.
About Olive Ap Academy - Havering
Our alternative provision academy in Hornchurch, in the London Borough of Havering, supports young people aged between 11 and 16 who have been permanently excluded from school. The academy also offers an intervention programme specifically for those young people who are at risk of permanent exclusion from their mainstream school. The academy has capacity for up to 64 pupils. The academy building is undergoing a major refurbishment programme and the new facilities will be completed in Spring 2019. We are part of a multi-academy trust with three alternative provision academies and an outreach service in London and the east of England. Our aim is to transform the lives of children and young people for whom traditional teaching methods have not worked. We help our pupils develop the confidence, skills and knowledge to believe that they can be successful in their own lives.
- Inskip Drive, Hornchurch, Essex, RM11 3UR
- Not Applicable