Primary class teacher
The Alton is a one form entry inclusive primary school next to Richmond Park in south west London. We have extensive facilities and lovely large grounds that offer children a wide array of fantastic, vibrant and diverse opportunities. The Alton is also home to a small Resource Base for children with moderate learning difficulties.
We want our children to love learning and enjoy school. We work hard to ensure that we develop our children’s selfesteem so they feel safe and understand their uniqueness and ability to make a difference in their own lives and the lives of others.
Our children say “A good teacher is kind and enthusiastic, pushing us to be the best we can be.”
Ofsted say: “Pupils come to school happily. They have respectful and warm relationships with staff. Leaders and staff support every pupil to reach their full potential. Pupils achieve well in a range of subjects.”
We are part of the Quality First Education trust and quality is at the heart of what we do. We firmly believe that “the quality of a school cannot exceed the quality of its teachers” and we invest in our staff from the moment they join us.
We seek excellent primary class teachers to join our team. Whether you are newly qualified or more experienced, we'd love to hear from you. We keep applications open all year round and we look at applications as we receive them, so your early response is encouraged. We have positions available from September and may also have some earlier opportunities.
This role is subject to an enhanced DBS with barred list check.
Essential educational requirements
Qualified Teacher Status
Essential skills and experience
Experience of teaching children successfully, meeting their many and varied needs.
Evidence of being an excellent teacher.
Evidence of raising standards and accelerating pupil progress.
Understands the purpose, structure and balance of the National Curriculum/ EYFS curriculum and its requirements.
Has thorough subject knowledge.
Keeps abreast of national and local education developments.
Displays commitment to the safeguarding and protection of children and fulfils relevant duties for child protection.
Can assess, record and report on the achievements of pupils.
Committed to equal opportunities.
Respects and values different experiences and backgrounds
Able to develop positive relationships with all members of the school community.
A good communicator.
An exemplary record of attendance and punctuality.
Holds high expectations of pupils, adults and self.
Committed to personal and professional development.
Motivated, proactive, reflective and learns from experience.
Teachers joining us benefit from:
- fantastic ongoing development and support through our designated national Teaching School and Maths Hub;
- an excellent, structured induction programme for NQTs: three paid weeks of induction in July before you start; a further 14 full days of induction training during the first two years of teaching; and a dedicated in-school mentor;
- weekly INSET sessions, professional learning discussions, and opportunities to watch others teach;
- many opportunities for progression within each school and across our trust;
- working as a team with colleagues in each year group learning, planning and assessing together;
- a fully developed set of curriculum resources, units and plans;
- specialist teachers for art, music, computing, French, PE and inclusion, so class teachers can focus more on the core provision.
• A commitment to recruit, retain and develop excellent staff
• An entitlement to high quality training and support
• A supportive working culture, with ongoing guidance and mentoring
• Excellent professional development at all levels
• Opportunities to work across our trust
• Opportunities to lead projects and undertake research
To make a difference
• An ambitious, fast growing trust with exciting potential
• A relentless drive for improvement, excellence and equality
• A focus on excellent pedagogy, positive learning behaviour and high expectations for all.
About The Alton School
The Alton is an inclusive community school, next to Richmond Park. We are a one form entry school with extensive facilities that offer our children a wide array of fantastic, vibrant and diverse opportunities. We are also home to a small Resource Base for children with moderate learning difficulties. The Alton has improved very significantly over recent years and we are extremely proud of all our successes. We are now part of the Quality First Education Trust, a growing multi-academy trust with four south London primary schools as well as Teaching School and Maths Hub designations.
- Danebury Avenue, London, SW15 4PD
- The Alton School website (opens in a new window)