School Nurse (3 days/19.5 hours per week) Term Time Only
We are eager to appoint a suitably qualified nurse to join our team at Peak School. Based at High Peak, Peak School caters for pupils with profound, severe and moderate learning disabilities, from 2 years of age (within our integrated nursery) up to 19 years of age (in our post-16 facility). Working alongside and independently of our current school nurse, you will be responsible for the direct delivery of nursing care to our pupils on a day to day basis as well as dealing with medical emergencies as they arise. Experience of working within a similar environment would be advantageous.
The ideal candidate will hold essential qualifications which, for this post, are RSCN or RN Learning Disabilities.
1. Clinical-Administration of medications, both routine and emergency, in line with NMC guidelines and the medicines in school policy and ensure that governance issues around medication are maintained.
2. Team Responsibilities
3. Managing the care environment
4. Professional Development and Practice
5. Communication and Multi-Disciplinary Team Working
6. Professional Responsibilities
Physical Skills: To have highly developed clinical skills
Good communication skill, verbal, non-verbal and written
To be able to work both independently and as part of a team taking initiative. To have knowledge and competency in the application of computer databases; EPR, CRS, EMIS
Physical Effort: To be able to carry out throughout the day, a wide variety of physical tasks requiring a reasonable level of physical fitness.
Mental Effort: To be able to concentrate in a busy working environment that will have interruptions from phone calls, parents, deliveries, emergencies etc. To be able to prioritise own workload and adapt as and when necessary. To be able to meet deadline set
Emotional Effort: To have the ability to give unwelcome news to parents and carers who may be distressed, or angry. To deal sensitivity with families who have high levels of anxiety. To have the ability to provide ongoing support to emotionally demanding parents or carers. Will on occasion be exposed to distressing, emotional circumstances and will have to deal sensitively with families coping with poor diagnosis, child death, child abuse and domestic violence.
Working Conditions: To be able to work in an environment that may mean exposure to bodily fluids and waste products. To be able to deal with aggressive behaviour from children, young people their families/carers.
Essential educational requirements
• RN or RGN (Child Branch) or RSCN or RN (Learning Disabilities)
• Evidence of commitment to continuing professional development.
• Minimum 2 years post registration experience, preferably working with children in acute clinical or special needs setting.
• Recordable school nursing qualification
• Post registration training, e.g. Asthma, Diabetics, Sexual Health, Mental Health, Audit and Research, Health Promotion.
Essential skills and experience
• Demonstrate current knowledge of health needs of school-aged population with special needs
• Awareness of current developments in school nursing services, primary care and health promotion.
• Ability to prioritise and organise own workload
• Ability to support parents
• Ability to take responsibility
• Ability to communicate across all disciplines and agencies
• Ability to reflect on clinical practice
• Able to embrace change positively.
• Good standard of written English
Benefits include; Local Government Pension Scheme, 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays, flexible working and free parking.
About Peak School
- Buxton Road, High Peak, Derbyshire, SK23 6ES
- Not Applicable
- Peak School website (opens in a new window)