Are you an enthusiastic and resourceful Science Technician looking for a new challenge? Do you have the practical kills and personality required to motivate and energise Science pupils and staff? Are you passionate about the Science Curriculum and helping pupils to achieve their full potential?
We are seeking to appoint a dynamic, highly organised and experienced Science technician to join our friendly and supportive Science Department. The successful candidate will be capable of inspiring pupils through their passion for Science, to drive the practical teaching and learning and demonstrate a strong desire to make a difference to pupil achievement. Due to Washwood Heath Academy being an All through Academy, there is potential to support practical curriculum in Key Stage 3, 4 and 5 and work with colleagues in the Primary phase to develop a better understanding of how pupils develop Science practical skills in Key Stages 1 and 2.
Washwood Heath Academy is a relatively new All Through Academy (Primary, Secondary and Sixth Form) in the East of Birmingham. This is a fantastic opportunity to join an established Science team and contribute to a Faculty that seeks to provide a first class education for all of its learners. In order for all pupils to achieve academic excellence, we deliver a knowledge-rich curriculum where Science teachers and technicians are the experts and their role is to convey their knowledge and expertise to pupils. We believe that all pupils are entitled to learn about ‘The best, which has been thought and said’ (Matthew Arnold).
Our school is in a central location, with wonderful and enthusiastic pupils, amazing staff who always go the extra mile for their classes. Our friendly, family feel is part of the reason that parents choose Washwood Heath Academy for their children and a significant number of staff are long term employees. We are part of the Washwood Heath Multi Academy Trust which is a family of local schools located within 15 minutes of one another: 4 Primary schools, 2 Secondary schools and 1 All-through school. This will give you the opportunity to grow and develop professionally with a fantastic Academy Trust that is very supportive and collaborative with a strong sense of community.
In return, we will offer you:
- A collaborative and inclusive culture, where team members will upskill you and give you regular opportunities to learn from each other in a safe and collaborative environment.
- An opportunity to undertake structured CPD via access to the National College online CPD platform and/or apprenticeships such as [the CIPD or Coaching via our Apprenticeship Levy-amend examples based on roles].
- Access to Career Pathways and Pledge to help you plan for and make your goals a reality via our Professional Growth and Performance process.
- A wellbeing culture, with paid and unpaid time off to support life events via our Life Leave Policy, access to a Wellbeing Champion and the opportunity to participate in our annual staff wellbeing survey with Edurio, so we know and can respond to views.
- Access to 24/7 Employee Assistance Programme (EAP), which includes confidential counselling, access to wellbeing advice and a lifestyle app called “My Possible Self”.
- Access to a suite of supportive policies, such as Life Leave, Wellbeing, Career Break and Family Friendly.
- Access to a generous pension scheme known as the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS).
- Access to a comprehensive employee rewards package including Long Service Awards, Employee Referral Scheme, Cycle to Work Scheme and contribution to glasses and eye-sight tests for eligible display screen users.
- Opportunity to be part of key Trust-wide collaborative groups such as the Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI working group) and Wellbeing working groups, including menopause support and neurodiversity support.
- Generous annual leave entitlement based on length of service, starting at 30 days pro-rata, rising to 33 at 5 years’ plus service and 35 following 10 years’ plus service. This excludes an additional 2-week paid compulsory closure at Christmas, for which additional days’ leave are gained.
- Onsite parking at all schools.
This post is suitable for any Scientist holding a minimum of a UK Level 3 Science Qualification (or equivalent) who is looking for a new challenge.
Informal conversations are warmly welcomed.
N.B. CVs will not be accepted
We value our people and are dedicated to making sure that everybody feels empowered to bring their authentic self to work. We have an outstanding opportunity to work at Washwood Heath Academy as a Science Technician
We promise to treat all candidates fairly, consistently and with respect throughout the application, assessment, and selection process.
We are also “happy to talk flexible working” subject to the operational requirements of the role.
This post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and the amendments to the Exceptions Order 1975, 2013 and 2020. Which means that when applying for certain jobs and activities certain spent convictions and cautions are ‘protected’, so they do not need to be disclosed to employers, and if they are disclosed, employers cannot take them into account. Further information about filtering offences can be found in the DBS filtering guide.
This post is covered by Part 7 of the Immigration Act (2016) and therefore the ability to speak fluent spoken English is an essential requirement for this role.
Washwood Heath Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment. An enhanced DBS check is required for all successful applicants.
Please click here to refer to our Privacy Notice for Candidate
This job post has expired.