Second in English
PURPOSE OF THE POST:
• To teach English to the full range of abilities
• To ensure appropriate differentiation for students.
• To ensure high levels of attainment and progress in English.
• To assist the Principal and Head of English in challenging under-achievement with a particular focus on those who are at risk of under-achievement.
• To promote the Christian ethos of the College.
• To carry out any other specific duty assigned by the Principal or their appointed representative
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
To work with the Head of English in the following areas:
1. To assist the Head of English in the development and evaluation of the department improvement plan, including curriculum review and planning;
2. Oversee KS3 curriculum, progress and attainment;
3. To be a model of excellent practice of teaching and learning in order to give English teachers advice and guidance on improving the quality of learning;
4. Identify pupils who are underachieving and ensure appropriate and reasonable strategies are put in place to support them in English;
5. Ensure there is a clear vision as to how the subject should be taught and developed;
6. Contribute to and support the induction of new staff;
7. Plan engaging lessons which motivate and inspire individual students and groups of students to achieve beyond what they thought possible;
8. To establish and then maintain the highest expectations about what the learners are capable of achieving;
9. To arrange, wherever appropriate, English enrichment activities;
10. To set regular and meaningful homework which fosters independent learning skills amongst the students in English;
11. To teach English across all ability levels;
12. Assess work regularly and provide oral and written feedback on an ongoing basis so that students can make progress;
13. Ensure the effective use of data to promote students’ learning and target setting is well embedded into the department;
14. Keep parents and other members of staff informed of the progress that is being made by the students in English;
15. Seize every opportunity for professional development both within the English curriculum and general pedagogy so that the subject and the school stay abreast of the latest educational initiatives within English education;
16. Implement a process of self-evaluation which informs future practice;
17. Regularly review and update schemes of work;
18. Promote collaboration between all members of the team;
19. Promote educational inclusion with a wide range of teaching and behaviour strategies;
20. Encourage and listen to the “learner voice” about learning within the subject;
21. Maintain the highest standards of behaviour.
Essential educational requirements
Qualified Teacher Status
Essential skills and experience
Up to date knowledge of examination specifications for GCSE English Language and English Literature.
Up to date knowledge of best practice in teaching and learning in English.
Knowledge of effective strategies for meeting the needs of SEND and EAL learners in English.
Knowledge of effective strategies for meeting the needs of the most able in English
About Christ's College, Guildford
Christ's College is part of the Good Shepherd Trust and is a thriving secondary school serving the non-Christian and Christian community of Guildford, Woking and surrounding areas. Our aim for the students at Christ's College is that they should develop the core values of service, respect, stewardship, co-operation and love.
- Larch Avenue, Guildford, Surrey, GU1 1JY
- Christ's College, Guildford website (opens in a new window)