SEN Class Teacher
Lime Academy Ravensbourne, Romford, Essex
|Working pattern||Full-time only|
|Salary||£28,355 to £40,035|
To ensure high quality education for all pupils in a designated class.
To carry out the professional duties of a teacher in accordance with the school's policies under the direction of the Headteacher.
Teach allocated pupils by planning their teaching to achieve progression of learning through:
• Plan and teach lessons and sequences of lessons to the classes they are assigned to teach within the context of the school’s plans, curriculum and schemes of work.
• Contribute to the life of the school in order to enhance the educational opportunities for the pupils and to create a happy, well-organised and stimulating environment.
• Participate in arrangements for preparing pupils for external examinations and accreditation.
• Guide and motivate pupils to enable each individual to obtain maximum advantage from full participation in school life, unlocking the potential of each child and ensuring the best possible outcomes for students, whatever their starting point.
• Follow the agreed school policies and ensure that these are followed by staff they manage.
• Contribute to the development, implementation and evaluation of the school’s policies, practices and procedures in such a way as to support the school’s values and vision.
• Plan for continuity and progression in pupils’ learning to ensure that expectations are achievable and work presented at the appropriate level.
• Assess, monitor, record and report on the learning needs, progress and achievements of assigned pupils. Be aware of, and utilise, appropriate resources and teaching strategies.
• Maintain class and school discipline in accordance with agreed standards and procedures
• Liaise with and report to parents formally and informally.
• Help foster good relationships with parents and Governors and the wider community.
• Take responsibility for the organisation of, and access to, resources and displays within own class/area and encourage pupils to treat these with respect. Contribute to the maintenance and development of the life of the school by attending meetings and functions as should be reasonably requested.
• Take responsibility for health and safety issues within own classroom and to report areas of concern within the school to the Leadership Team, Health and Safety Officer or Caretaker.
• Set a good example of punctuality, attendance and appearance.
• Take responsibility for own professional development through attendance at Inset, maintaining up to date knowledge on educational issues and acquiring new skills to ensure that teaching is as effective and stimulating as possible.
• Take responsibility for directing/involving Teaching Assistants to maximum effect within the learning environment.
• Develop inter-disciplinary relationships with all staff to ensure full understanding of each pupil’s individual needs, including the Speech and Language Therapist and Physiotherapist.
• To carry out supervisory duties before and after school and during break times as directed by the Leadership Team.
• To be alert to issues of safeguarding and child protection, ensuring that the welfare and safety of children attending the School is paramount. Report any child protection concerns to the Designated Lead for Child Protection using safeguarding policies procedures and practice.
• Participate in arrangements for the appraisal and review of their own performance, and, where appropriate, that of other teachers and support staff.
• Comply with the School’s Code of Conduct to prevent, identify and minimise the risk of abuse or violence, taking action to safeguard pupils, students and other vulnerable people where necessary.
• Work with others on curriculum and/or pupil development to secure co-ordinated outcomes.
• Collaborate and work with colleagues and other relevant professionals within and beyond the school.
• Achieve constructive working relationships with all staff.
• Direct, organise and manage the work of support staff within the classroom ensuring their effective and efficient deployment
• Liaise effectively with colleagues to ensure the successful transition of pupils through the school.
• Build and maintain co-operative relationships with parents and carers.
Other Professional Requirements
• Evaluate own teaching critically to improve effectiveness
• Take responsibility for one’s own professional development including knowledge of school policies and procedures.
• Keep up-to-date with current educational thinking and practice, both by study and by attendance at courses, workshops and meetings.
• Contribute to meetings, discussions and management systems necessary to co-ordinate the work of the school as a whole.
• Undertake break time and before school duties as directed to ensure the smooth running of the school.
• Participate in performance management through the setting of personal targets and monitoring of performance as set out in the Teachers’ Pay and Conditions.
• Keep up to date and further your knowledge of Education through personal research, reading, observation and coaching opportunities.
• Take on any additional responsibilities which might, from time to time, be determined
• Carry out the duties above and conduct yourself in a professional way.
• Adhere to all school policies and procedures
Personal & Professional Development
• Attend and participate in relevant meetings as required;
• Participate in training, other learning activities and performance development;
• To actively look for and participate in initiatives and opportunities to promote your own personal & professional development;
Confidentiality and Data Protection
• To treat all information acquired through employment, both formally and informally, in strict confidence;
• To be aware of the school’s responsibilities under the Data Protection Act 2018 for the security, accuracy and relevance of personal data held on such systems and ensure that all processes comply with this;
• Be aware of and comply with policies and procedures relating to child protection reporting all concerns to an appropriate person;
• Be aware of all documents produced during the time at the school remain the commercial documents of the school;
The above-mentioned duties are neither exclusive nor exhaustive and the post holder may be required to carry out other relevant and/or reasonable duties as directed by their Head Teacher/Line Manager commensurate with the skills, abilities and grade of the post. This job description may be amended at any time following discussion between the head teacher and member of staff, and will be reviewed annually.
To be alert to issues of child protection, ensuring that the welfare and safety of children attending the School/Nursery is promoted and safeguarded and to report any child protection concerns to the person responsible for child protection using safeguarding policies procedures and practice.
Prevent, identify and minimise risk of interpersonal abuse or violence, safeguarding children and other vulnerable people, initiating the management of cases involving actual or potential abuse or violence where needed.
Be aware of and update colleagues, as appropriate to comply with current legislation and policies affecting practice, e.g. Children’s Act, National Service Frameworks, Child Protection Procedures, Health and Safety and Data Protection.
This post is subject to the current conditions of employment for Class Teachers contained in the School Teachers' Pay and Conditions Document, the 1998 School Standards and Framework Act, the required standards for Qualified Teacher Status and Class Teachers and other current legislation.
Applying for the job
To apply for this position, please go to: https://ats-limetrust.jgp.co.uk/vacancies/view/127747-sen-class-teacher?source=1558-agency&enhancement=More on how to apply
|Education phase||Not Applicable|
|School size||87 pupils enrolled|
|Age range||2 to 19|
|Ofsted report||View Ofsted report|
|School website||Lime Academy Ravensbourne website (opens in a new window)|
About Lime Academy Ravensbourne
Lime Trust is a Multi Academy Trust founded in 2015, which merged with Hornbeam Academy Trust in September 2019. The Lime Trust has grown from 4 to 7 Schools which are located in the following areas; Havering, Waltham Forest and Peterborough. The Trust is a mixture of both Primary and Special Schools including an Ofsted Outstanding Hospital & Home Tuition Service located in Whipps Cross Hospital in Waltham Forest.
Arranging a visit to Lime Academy Ravensbourne
Please email HR to arrange a school visit on: email@example.com
Neave Crescent, Romford, Essex, RM3 8HN