We are looking for a qualified teacher with subject leadership experience to join Harris Academy Sutton as Subject Leader of Mandarin .
You will join an open and supportive team in establishing outstanding provision within Mandarin . This will include all programmes, systems and structures taking account of the academy's vision and values leading to outstanding teaching and learning.
The successful candidate will:
- Hold QTS (or equivalent) and a relevant undergraduate degree, and, ideally, further qualifications and evidence of continuous self-development and updated knowledge in relevant areas
- Have a minimum of three years' teaching experience, ideally including KS5 and in multi-ethnic urban schools
- Understand the theory and practice of effective teaching and learning
- Have knowledge of National Curriculum requirements at KS3, KS4, and KS5
- Have experience of delivering high quality INSET to teaching staff within subject area, and of using coaching as a model for ensuring ongoing professional development
- Ideally, be able to show evidence of leading, supporting and managing others, both individuals and teams, ensuring high quality performance
- Be able to prove their success in raising achievement as a subject leader or classroom practitioner
- Have successful experience of processes of monitoring, evaluation and review that provide performance data that can be used to improve the quality of teaching and learning
- Have a good level of ICT skills and experience of how new technologies can be used to raise achievement
- Have recent experience of involvement in innovative curriculum development
- Have ideas of how Language, Literacy and Numeracy can be used across the curriculum to raise standards
- Have experience of embedding innovative strategies for improving teaching and learning and of managing and implementing change successfully
We believe that a happy and settled staff body helps drive the very best performance from our students. We are committed to a high-quality professional development programme and can drawn on expertise from across the Harris Federation. As a HASU member of staff at any level you will receive the training and support that you need to carry out your role effectively and develop at a pace that suits you.
We are committed to ensuring that our staff have the right level of balance between work and home life. Our policies and procedures are aimed at allowing our teaching staff to spend as much time as possible planning and delivering lessons.
We work in an award-winning building with excellent facilities. Our thriving staff association ensures all new members of staff soon feel part of the HASU community.
We run a broad and diverse curriculum to a fully comprehensive intake of students, with a highly academically-focussed sixth-form.
Our focus on the core value of Integrity means that our behaviour is excellent, with staff supported by a strong and highly visible Academy Leadership Group. Detentions are run centrally, allowing teaching staff to do what they do best: plan and teach amazing lessons.
Attendance and engagement with learning is high, and centrally planned tutor time resources ensure that our tutors can engage with students whilst delivering high-quality experiences.
In addition to the opportunities for career development and progression, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes our Harris Allowance for teachers on MPS/UPS, a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme with generous employer contributions, a Wellbeing Cash Plan including access to a virtual GP, electric car scheme, and many other benefits.
The main responsibilities of your role will be:
- To establish outstanding provision within the subject area. This to include all programmes, systems and structures taking account of the academy's vision and values leading to outstanding teaching and learning.
- To be accountable for student progress and development in the subject area across KS3, KS4 and Sixth form, including meeting student achievement targets for subject areas which are agreed by the Principal and the Governing Body.
- To ensure high standards of teaching and learning across the subject area through continuously, developing and enhancing the quality of teaching and learning.
- To ensure the provision of an appropriately engaging, relevant and differentiated curriculum for students in the subject area, in accordance with the academy aims and policies, as determined by the Principal and Governing Body.
- To ensure that all school policies and procedures are implemented and applied consistently by all colleagues in the subject area.
- To effectively and efficiently manage and deploy teaching/support staff, financial and physical resources across the subject area, with the support and working alongside the MLG/ALG.
- To lead development for literacy, within subject areas, to raise standards of Literacy across the Academy.
The Harris Federation and all our academies are committed to ensuring the highest levels of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people, and we expect all our staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check, references, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed.
If you're interested in teaching or training to teach in England as an international citizen, we can help you understand your next steps