Subject Leader of Music
John Mason School, Abingdon, Oxfordshire
|Working pattern||Full-time only|
|Salary||MPS/UPS (if post threshold)|
John Mason School has a vibrant and eclectic range of music on offer; in the last few years we have performed an opera, several (wonderful) whole school musicals, run folk, jazz, rock, pop, brass, orchestra and a range of thriving singing and choral groups, including a male voice choir. An exciting opportunity has arisen to join our creative, inspirational and talented Performing Arts faculty. We are seeking to appoint an energetic and inspiring practitioner to lead Music within the faculty, and to further develop the incredible opportunities that are already well established and celebrated at John Mason School. This post will enable the successful candidate to capture and develop the breadth of talent, and maximise the well established partnerships we have local schools and music groups, as well as continuing to enter national competitions and performances, such as Voice in a Million. We have a purpose built music block with several practice rooms and a simple recording studio. There is ample opportunity to shape and develop the department; we are looking for a dedicated, creative practitioner to be part of our team who believes in the power of music and the future of creative industries.
Staff well-being is noticeably valued at John Mason School. Lesson observations are formative and non-judgemental. Feedback and assessment policies are bespoke to each faculty allowing teachers time to plan responsively, students to take responsibility for their own learning and parents to take an active part in supporting their children.
The successful candidate will be:
• an enthusiastic musician able to ignite interest in music and the performing arts from students and colleagues.
• committed to ensuring all students reach their potential regardless of prior attainment.
• capable of promoting partnerships and collaborative working in our school, across the Abingdon Learning Trust and in the wider performing arts teaching community.
• a role model for our students and staff.
• effective in setting and attaining high standards of student progress.
• active in working to develop their own teaching practice.
In return we will offer you:
• the support and satisfaction of being part of a dynamic and creative team led by very experienced staff.
• students who have a desire to achieve and respect the school’s expectations.
• a programme of supported induction and continuing professional development firmly rooted in educational research.
• a commitment to supporting the well-being of all staff.
Open to interest from candidates who are newly qualified or who prefer a main scale teacher of Music post. Please contact us for more details if you are interested.
An application pack is available from the John Mason School website or from
CVs alone are not acceptable.
Abingdon Learning Trust is an equal opportunities employer that recognises the terms and conditions of maintained schools, including maternity benefits. Abingdon Learning Trust has a responsibility for and is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and requires all staff to share this commitment. The successful candidate will be required to apply for a DBS check at an enhanced level.
|School size||957 pupils enrolled|
|Age range||11 to 18|
|Ofsted report||View Ofsted report|
|Website||John Mason School website (opens in a new window)|
About John Mason School
John Mason School is part of the Abingdon Learning Trust and is fully committed to the safeguarding and wellbeing of all its students and staff.
Wootton Road, Abingdon, Oxfordshire, OX14 1JB