Subject Team Leader: Maths
This job expired on 10 May 2023 – see similar jobs
Start date details
10 May 2023 at 11:59pm
2 March 2023
- Key stage 3, Key stage 4, Key stage 5
- View all Mathematicsjobs
- View all Full timejobs - Directed
- MPS (London Fringe) + £1,500 Harris Allowance + TLR
Performance and Loyalty Bonus + Pension Scheme (TPS) + Harris Wellbeing Cash Plan + Additional Harris Benefits
What skills and experience we're looking for
We are currently looking to appoint a Subject Team Leader for Maths to join our happy and successful school.
At Harris Academy Ockendon you will join a dedicated team of teachers and staff supporting our vibrant students. If you are looking for an opportunity to grow, inspire and develop, this may be the role for you.
The successful candidate will:
- Enjoy working with teenagers and helping them succeed
- Believe in our shared values: work hard, be kind, take responsibility
- Hold QTS (or equivalent) and a relevant undergraduate degree
- Have successful teaching experience at secondary level
- Understand the theory and practice of effective teaching and learning
- Understand the importance of high expectations and equality of access for all students
- Have knowledge of National Curriculum requirements at KS4 and KS5 in particular
- Be able to work as part of a team and to develop and maintain positive relationships with all staff
- Be able to create a motivating and safe learning environment for all students
- Be able to communicate positively with parents, carers and other external agencies where necessary
- Have good written and spoken communication skills
- Be able to lead and manage your own work effectively
- Have excellent time management skills
- Be able to motivate students and raise their aspirations through a range of strategies
What the school offers its staff
“I am passionate about three things:
Being great at number 1 and number 2 should not mean we can't do number 3!”
- George McMillan, Executive Principal and National Leader of Education.
We are an 11-18 academy with a thriving Sixth Form and a lovely building. ; It is a school where we are as passionate about developing our staff as we are about developing our students.
Our location just outside the M25 means we attract staff not only from Essex but from London. Indeed, over half our staff live in Kent/Surrey/South East and Central London. Some of our team even travel from West London because they like the school so much.
Our role here is to help students and staff dream bigger than they ever thought possible, and to make that dream come true through our culture of “work hard, be kind, take responsibility” which beats at the heart of our school.
We have developed a strong culture of collaboration and best practice, with professional development and career planning at its centre. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of top-quality training programmes delivered at every level to senior leadership.
In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes our Harris Allowance for teachers on MPS/UPS, a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme, electric car scheme, a Wellbeing Cash Plan and many other benefits.
Further details about the role
The purpose of your role will be:
- To be accountable for leading, managing and developing the subject area.
- To raise standards of student attainment and achievement within the whole subject/curriculum area and to monitor and support student progress.
- To ensure the provision of an appropriately broad, balanced, relevant and differentiated curriculum for students studying in the department, in accordance with the aims of the academy and the curricular policies determined by the Governing Body and Principal.
- To teach the relevant subject across the age and ability range.
- To facilitate and encourage a learning experience which provides students with the opportunity to achieve their individual potential.
- To effectively manage and deploy staff, financial and physical resources within the department.
- To share and support the school's responsibility to provide and monitor opportunities for personal and academic growth.
Your main areas of responsibility will fall under the areas of:
- Operational and strategic planning (including formulating the subject and faculty improvement plans, and leading the development of appropriate syllabuses, resources, schemes of work, marking policies, assessment and teaching strategies)
- Ensuring the delivery of an appropriate, comprehensive, high quality and cost effective curriculum and leading development of the subject and its delivery
- Staff development (including recruiting, building and managing an effective team of motivated staff)
- Student outcomes (including ensuring the effective operation of target setting, monitoring and evaluation systems and the input and maintenance of accurate student data)
- Pastoral system (including being a form tutor to a selected group of students)
- Teaching, including acting as an outstanding role model
Commitment to safeguarding
About Harris Academy Ockendon
- School type
- Academy, ages 11 to 18
- Education phase
- View all Secondaryjobs
- School size
- 1329 pupils enrolled
- Age range
- 11 to 18
- Ofsted report
- View Ofsted report (opens in new tab)
- School website
- Harris Academy Ockendon website (opens in new tab)
- Email address
- Phone number
- 01708 851661
Harris Academy Ockendon is an 11-18 academy with a thriving Sixth Form and a lovely building. It is a school where we are as passionate about developing our staff as we are about developing our students. The Harris Federation is a highly successful group of schools who serve many of the most deprived areas of London and Essex. We are collaborative, enterprising and share a passion for turning lives around, yet each school is autonomous and free to set its own vision and strategy for how it does that. Each Harris school feels completely different in terms of culture and ethos. Perhaps this is the school you’ve been looking for. Our role here is to help students and staff dream bigger than they ever thought possible, and to make that dream come true through our culture of “work hard, be kind, take responsibility” which beats at the heart of our school. “I am passionate about three things: Leading staff to become happy, successful, highly trained professionals who stay in the game and don’t burn out or lose their way. Creating a fulfilling secondary experience for students where they can grow to become well-rounded, ambitious and successful young adults ready to put a ding in the universe. My life outside work. Being great at number 1 and number 2 should not mean we can’t do number 3!” - George McMillan, Executive Principal and National Leader of Education. A lovely secondary school where the students say, “Good Morning”, and actually mean it. Check out our school via our video https://tinyurl.com/HAOC-Video The Executive Principal is George McMillan. Originally from Glasgow, he graduated from the University of Aberdeen with an MA (hons) degree in English Literature and a burning desire to teach. After teaching in Edinburgh, then moving to senior management in Chafford (Essex), George took over Harris Academy Greenwich in 2011 and led its transformation to hitting the top 15% of schools in the country for progress 7 years in a row. Harris Greenwich is one of only a handful of schools in London to retain its Outstanding status (2014 then 2022) under the new Ofsted framework, and the World Class School status twice in a row. The Principal is Ms Jo Rainey. Originally from Belfast, she graduated from ;the University of Ulster with a first class degree in History and Geography. Over the past 21 years, she has taught history and led in schools across London and Essex with most of her senior leadership career being spent in Hackney. Jo has been Principal at Ockendon since 2018. She is highly respected for her strong sense of integrity, her passion for student life chances, and loyalty to the school.
Similar jobs nearby
Eden Park High School
Balmoral Avenue, Beckenham, Kent, BR3 3RD
Mossbourne Community Academy
100 Downs Park Road, London, E5 8JY
Finchley Catholic High School
Woodside Lane, London, N12 8TA
Raising Standards Leader (RSL)
Cleeve Park School
Bexley Lane, Sidcup, Kent, DA14 4JN
Get a job alert when similar jobs are listed