Teacher of Biology
21 days remaining to apply
Start date details
20 April 2023 at 11:59pm
28 February 2023
- View all Biologyjobs, View all Sciencejobs
- View all Full timejobs - Directed
Full-time equivalent salary
- MPS (Inner London) + £2,000 Harris Allowance
Performance and Loyalty Bonus + Harris Wellbeing Cash Plan + Pension Scheme (TPS) + Additional Harris Benefits
What skills and experience we're looking for
We are looking for an exceptional teacher of Biology to join Harris Westminster Sixth Form in September 2023.
You will implement and deliver an appropriately broad, balanced, relevant, differentiated and inspiring curriculum for students and support the subject area as appropriate. You will monitor and support the overall progress and development of students and provide a motivating and structured learning experience, which will provide students with the opportunity to achieve their individual potential.
As a teacher and Form Tutor you will contribute significantly to raising standards of student attainment and support the process of application to university. You will contribute significantly to the Cultural Perspectives programme and to the wider life of the school, including extra-curricular and enrichment activities.
You will report to the Head of Life Sciences and liaise with other teachers within the Faculty (Biology and Chemistry), Tutors, the Head of House, relevant teaching and non-teaching staff, including those with particular curriculum and pastoral responsibilities, parents and Governors and other stakeholders.
The successful candidate will have:
- Successful experience teaching A Level Biology at Sixth Form level (can be teaching practice).
- Understanding of theory and practice of effective teaching and learning.
- Understanding of how the most-able students learn.
- Understanding of the importance of having high expectations for all students, both of behaviour and academic achievement.
- Understanding of inclusive provision and practices which offer equality of access to the curriculum for all students, including special educational needs and English as an additional language.
- Knowledge and experience of writing lesson plans, developing resources and assessing students' work.
- Understanding the importance of being a Tutor
What the school offers its staff
Harris Westminster combines the energy of brilliant young people from across London's diverse neighbourhoods, the strength of Westminster School in teaching academically able students, and the Harris Federation's experience and expertise in running outstanding maintained sector schools. It is over-subscribed, academically selective, has 35% of students from a disadvantaged background, and has incredible diversity in its student cohort with no ethnic group exceeding 20%. 65% of HWSF students go on to study at Russell Group universities and we have one of the largest Oxbridge cohorts of any school (state or private). 38 students from the 2022 cohort gained places. We are looking for an outstanding individual to join and support this exciting, scholarly, and vibrant community.
We also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes our Harris Allowance, a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme, a Wellbeing Cash Plan and many other benefits.
Further details about the role
Your responsibilities will include:
- To participate in the formulation of subject area and faculty aims, objectives and strategic plans and the Subject and Sixth Form improvement plan.
- To contribute to the whole Sixth Form's planning activities.
- To assist in the development of appropriate syllabuses, resources, schemes of work, marking policies and teaching strategies in the subject area.
- To assist in the process of curriculum development and implementation of change, so as to ensure the continued relevance to the needs of students. This to include development of resources, schemes of work, policies and strategies for raising achievement
- To continue personal development in the relevant areas, including subject knowledge and teaching methods.
- To work as a member of a designated team and to contribute positively to effective working relations within the Sixth Form.
- To take part in the Sixth Form's staff development programme by participating in arrangements for further training and professional development
Commitment to safeguarding
Applying for the job
Apply for the job by following the link belowMore on how to apply (opens in new tab)
Upload additional documents
If you need these documents in an accessible format, please contact the school.
About Harris Westminster Sixth Form
- School type
- Free School, ages 16 to 19
- Education phase
- View all Sixth form and collegejobs
- School size
- 603 pupils enrolled
- Age range
- 16 to 19
- Ofsted report
- View Ofsted report (opens in new tab)
- School website
- Harris Westminster Sixth Form website (opens in new tab)
- Email address
- Phone number
- 0203 772 4555
A 2016 Ofsted inspection found Harris Westminster Sixth Form to be Outstanding in all areas, confirming our status as London’s leading state sixth form for able students. Harris Westminster combines the strengths of Westminster School in teaching academically able students with the Harris Federation’s experience in establishing and running outstanding maintained sector schools. We take full advantage of our location just off Parliament Square to provide students with a vibrant and stimulating academic environment including weekly guest lectures in school. We are highly over-subscribed, academically selective and have a varied student cohort including 40% Pupil Premium. 17 students from our 2016/17 cohort went on to study at Oxbridge. We are looking for outstanding individuals to join this exciting and scholarly community.
Similar jobs nearby
Get a job alert when similar jobs are listed
Find more school jobs in London