Teacher of Chemistry
Barr Beacon School, Walsall, West Midlands
|Working pattern||Full-time only|
|Salary||£23,720 to £35,008|
“The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed.” – Carl Jung
If you want to join a team of positively charged personalities, we are probably the school for you.
Whether you are beginning your career as an NQT or you have been teaching chemistry for decades, to really inspire the next generation of scientists you need an environment with the right conditions. You need an environment where pupils genuinely want to learn. An environment in which your colleagues are as geeky about your subject as you are.
With our unparalleled professional development opportunities, you will be able to transform your career, whatever stage you are at. For instance, if you are currently training and looking for a school which nurtures NQTs, we can guarantee you a tailored programme of support which goes well above and beyond to make sure you thrive. There are copious opportunities for working with international schools and STEM organisations. We also run a fully-funded Masters programme on site, which is open to all.
Whatever your level of experience in the classroom, it’s your passion for your subject that counts. We prize love of learning above all else.
We need a talented teacher of chemistry who has the passion to provide pupils with the best possible experience of this fascinating subject. Could it be you?
Our teachers work very hard but they only ever do work which is going to make a difference for our pupils. Quite simply, we believe in common sense approaches to everything. That means:
• Our teachers do minimal marking. Why spend ages with a red pen when there are much better ways to give pupils the feedback they need?
• We never ask for lesson plans. Of any kind. Ever.
• Although schemes of work and resources are provided, they are not prescriptive – we cherish individual approaches to delivery.
• There is no pressure to ‘put on a show’ in lessons: A culture of typicality is reinforced by no lesson gradings (outstanding, good, etc).
• Everyone has the highest expectations of behaviour, with all staff (not just teaching staff) reinforcing those expectations.
• A clear system of sanctions is applied consistently so staff don’t have to battle with pupils.
• Senior Leadership are very visible and all staff ‘own’ their corridors.
• CPD is tailored specifically to staff needs, based off their feedback. This includes a fully funded Masters programme available to everyone.
• There are no prizes for looking busy or staying late – we work in a way that suits us we make sure you make time for ourselves and our families.
That’s just 9 of the things we do to secure our teachers’ well-being. There are many more here: http://www.barrbeaconschool.co.uk/47-things-we-do-staff-well-being/
|School size||1587 pupils enrolled|
|Age range||11 to 18|
|Ofsted report||View Ofsted report|
|Website||Barr Beacon School website (opens in a new window)|
About Barr Beacon School
We would usually urge you to visit us. There’s a real buzz about the place which no amount of words can convey. However, until it is safe for us all to return to school, please visit our website www.barrbeaconschool.co.uk to get a flavour of what we’re like. If you want, we can also arrange for a virtual tour of school site and/or a chat with the Head of Science via Zoom or Teams. On our website, under the Vacancies section, you can download an application form and send it to the Headteacher, Lynsey Draycott: LDraycott@barrbeaconschool.co.uk
Old Hall Lane, Walsall, West Midlands, WS9 0RF