Teacher of Computer Science
“To me, programming is more than an important practical art. It is also a gigantic undertaking in the foundations of knowledge.” – Grace Hopper, computer science pioneer
We need a talented teacher of computer science to join our hugely successful team. We need someone who loves their subject: someone who loves it so much about it they are determined to instil this love in their pupils and grow the next generation of computer science geeks.
Essential educational requirements
Essential skills and experience
There’s a real buzz about the place which no amount of words can convey, so please come to see Barr Beacon School for yourself. We will give you a personalised tour at a time to suit you.
But why bring your talent to Barr Beacon?
Quite simply, we believe in common sense approaches to everything. Our teachers work very hard but they only ever do the things which are going to make a difference for our pupils. That means:
• Compared with most schools, our teachers do minimal marking. Why bother when there are much better ways to give pupils the feedback they need?
• We never ask for lesson plans. Of any kind. Ever.
• We don’t have a teaching and learning ‘policy’ because we trust teachers to decide the best approaches for their pupils.
• There is no pressure to ‘put on a show’ in lessons: A culture of typicality is reinforced by no lesson gradings (outstanding, good, etc).
• Everyone has the highest expectations of behaviour, with all staff (not just teaching staff) reinforcing those expectations.
• A clear system of sanctions which is applied consistently so staff don’t have to have battles with pupils.
• Senior Leadership are very visible and all staff ‘own’ their corridors.
• CPD is tailored specifically to staff needs, based off their feedback. This includes a fully funded Masters programme available to everyone.
• There are no prizes for looking busy or staying late – we work in a way that suits us we make sure you make time for ourselves and our families.
That’s just 9 of the things we do to secure our teachers’ well-being. There are many more here: http://www.barrbeaconschool.co.uk/47-things-we-do-staff-well-being/
About Barr Beacon School
The word ‘outstanding’ appears a lot in advertisements for teachers – but at Barr Beacon School, it means more. With over 1000 requests for the 252 places available in Year 7 this September, parents would certainly agree. When Ofsted last visited, they merely confirmed what we already knew. How have we achieved all of this? Quite simply, we employ teachers who are as ambitious, passionate and dedicated as we are. These amazing people work hard – in fact they work very hard – to ensure that our pupils make the best progress they possibly can. Whether they are the most able or or the least able, the most advantaged or the least advantaged, every child deserves nothing less than the very best teaching. Not surprisingly, there’s a real buzz about the place. If you would like to be part of it – and teach children who genuinely want to learn – we would love to hear from you.
- Old Hall Lane, Walsall, West Midlands, WS9 0RF
- Barr Beacon School website (opens in a new window)