Teacher of Computer Science
Key purpose of the job
To teach students in allocated classes in order to ensure that their learning is of the highest quality.
Responsibilities of a classroom teacher
• Teach students within allocated classes, enhancing their learning and providing the opportunity for achievement for all students;
• Planning and preparing tasks which challenge students and ensure high levels of interest during lessons;
• Monitor the academic progress of students within allocated classes and implement appropriate strategies to address underachievement;
• To assess, record and report on the progress and attainment of all students within allocated classes;
• To register the attendance of students in class;
• To set appropriate homework;
• To mark student’s work and give appropriate and constructive feedback;
• To research new topic areas, maintain up-to-date subject knowledge, and devise and write new curriculum materials;
• Manage pupil behaviour in the classroom and on college premises, and apply appropriate and effective measures in cases of misbehaviour;
• Communicate with parents and carers over students' progress and participate in faculty meetings, parents' evenings and whole college training events;
• Undergo regular observations and participate in regular in-service training (INSET) as part of continuing professional development (CPD); and
• Undertake critical self-evaluation and then participate in continuous professional development designed to enhance the quality of teaching or other working practices.
Responsibilities of a form tutor
• To address any issues concerned with the wellbeing, personal development and academic progress of students within the tutor group;
• To check general appearance on a daily basis; and
• To monitor the attendance of students in the tutor group.
Performance Management responsibilities
• All members of staff are required to participate fully in the college’s performance management system.
Essential educational requirements
Good Honours degree (First or Second Class).
Qualified Teacher Status - Degree or equivalent.
Essential skills and experience
Relevant recent teaching experience in the subject.
Experience of teaching a wide range of abilities.
Pension and CPD
About Melton Vale Sixth Form College
Melton Vale Sixth Form College offers its students the freedom to develop into mature young adults whilst providing the guidance, support and academic focus needed to succeed at the very highest level. Judged ‘outstanding’ by Ofsted in 2015, Melton Vale offers the widest range of courses in the local area.
- Burton Road, Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, LE13 1DN
- Sixteen Plus
- Melton Vale Sixth Form College website (opens in a new window)