Teacher of Design and Technology
This job expired on 9 May 2023 – see similar jobs
Job start date
1 September 2023
9 May 2023 at 12pm (midday)
22 March 2023
- Key stage 3, Key stage 4, Key stage 5
- View all Full timejobs - Full time teaching post
Full-time equivalent salary
What skills and experience we're looking for
We are looking for a skilled and versatile teacher of Design and Technology to join us from September 2023. You will be joining a dynamic and well-equipped department that covers a wide range of disciplines. You will be teaching a range of year groups (including A Level if you are able to deliver electronics and design engineering content). We are excited to be using our new food technology room to enhance the range of mediums our students work with; this is the ideal post who for anyone enjoys encouraging students to be adaptable to the ever-changing nature of the subject.
What the school offers its staff
- Many opportunities for CPD in subject knowledge, pedagogy and leadership through numerous platforms;
- A commitment to wellbeing including incentives such as health care provided by Simply Health, free staff parking and tea/coffee, and respect for professional autonomy;
- An open culture, where colleagues feel safe in disclosing any mental health conditions and one in which every individual feels properly supported with reasonable adjustments being discussed and offered when required;
- Opportunities for collaboration through academic links through the South West Academic Trust, a group of schools including Torquay Girls’, Churston, Colyton, Bournemouth, Poole and South Wilts. Grammar Schools, which works with staff from Exeter University to extend the challenges and opportunities for both staff and students;
- The successful candidate will find a very supportive working environment with high professional standards and a strong work ethic. There are excellent opportunities for talented and lively teachers; anyone joining the department will be encouraged to take a full and active part in its work and activities, as a strong team spirit pervades through all staff sharing ideas, resources and peer support in order to continue to improve teaching and learning opportunities.
Further details about the role
The Design and Technology department at Torquay Boys’ Grammar School is a well-resourced and modern department. It comprises 3, fully-equipped teaching areas, a new food room, 2 computer suites incorporating 2 laser cutters, and a technicians’ room. There is a dedicated sixth-form engineering area that contains CNC machines and a 3D printer.
Staff currently deliver the full D&T curriculum to all year groups and are adaptable to cover all aspects of the syllabus.
Students have the opportunity to study a rich and challenging curriculum where they experience first-hand a range of techniques and processes through a series of design-and-make units. Digital technology is a key element in many of the units utilising CAD CAM to design, develop and manufacture as well as incorporating embedded micro controllers.
At KS3, the curriculum helps prepare students to be independent, critical thinkers who can adapt their knowledge and understanding to different design situations. There is a healthy uptake for GCSE Design and Technology (OCR J310) where students engage in challenging systems-based project work. Pupils can progress further and take A-level D&T (OCR Design Engineering H404 or Product Design H406). Throughout this course, students are given opportunities to become more independent learners to prepare them for their ongoing careers. The school is affiliated with Arkwright Engineering Scholarships programme and all Technology students in year 11 are encouraged to apply for this prestigious award.
The department has links with local high-tech industries and has played a leading role in developing schemes and resources in partnership with the Torbay Development Agency and the Hi-Tech Forum for other schools in the area. It has also participated in competitive activities such as the Green Power Challenge, Student Robotics, Bloodhound Model Rocket Car Challenge and British Schools Karting Championship.
Commitment to safeguarding
Upload additional documents
If you need these documents in an accessible format, please contact the school.
About Torquay Boys' Grammar School
- School type
- Academy, ages 11 to 18
- Education phase
- View all Secondaryjobs
- School size
- 1087 pupils enrolled
- Age range
- 11 to 18
- Ofsted report
- View Ofsted report (opens in new tab)
- School website
- Torquay Boys' Grammar School website (opens in new tab)
- Email address
- Phone number
Do you believe that young people should be inspired to ‘Dare to Be’? Or ‘Dare to Dream’? Or just ‘Dare to ….? This is the TBGS mantra and says everything about the aspirations that we wish for our students. We are an academically selective school set on a beautiful, green site on the edge of Torquay in South Devon, producing outstanding examination results, but we are also known as a school that dares to provide a truly holistic education for our young people together with a strong pastoral commitment to the well-being of both students and staff. Since 1904, we have been educating able boys and since 2010 have extended our intake to able girls in the Sixth Form. The feedback we have received, and the evidence of our students’ excellent examination results, suggest that we are continuing to provide a first-class education. Our TBGS students are encouraged to enjoy learning for its own sake, developing creative talents and fulfilling their intellectual potential; our caring environment and strong pastoral system nurtures this academic excellence. Dare to join us!
Arranging a visit to Torquay Boys' Grammar School
To arrange a visit and increase the chance of a successful application email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Similar jobs nearby
Teacher of Food Technology / Hospitality and Catering
The Spires College
Westlands Lane, Torquay, Devon, TQ1 3PE
The Spires College
Westlands Lane, Torquay, Devon, TQ1 3PE
Teacher of Design & Technology - Newton Abbot College
Newton Abbot College
Old Exeter Road, Newton Abbot, Devon, TQ12 2NF
Teacher of Design and Technology / Food
Moorland Road, Plymouth, Devon, PL7 2RS
Get a job alert when similar jobs are listed
Find more school jobs in Devon, Plymouth and Torbay