Details for applicants
Who are we?
Would you like to visit us?
Informal visits are welcomed. We are not as far away as you think and driving through the countryside each morning is a very pleasant way to start you day! You’ll find us just 20-25 minutes from Peterborough and Huntingdon, and commutable from Cambridge too. Why not come and visit us so we can show you more of our school?
What do I do if I want to know more before applying?
You are very welcome to come and visit our wonderful school, please just let us know and we will arrange a tour of the department and wider school. More information is available on our website. However, if you have any further questions, please contact Kate Wibberley Kwibberley@abbey.college
As a Teacher of Engineering, you will be an outstanding classroom practitioner who consistently demonstrates the highest standards of delivery, is fully committed to raising attainment across all key stages and always achieve the highest standards within Engineering.
Responsible To: Creative Arts Lead Learner
Start Date: September 2024
New Scale Point: MPS/UPS
- Ensuring high quality lessons are delivered for Engineering and STEM.
- Working with partners and sponsors effectively to enhance the students learning.
- Understanding national standards within the subject area and ensuring these are followed.
- Using effective target setting systems for all students within Engineering and STEM classes
- Identifying effective intervention and mentoring strategies for students within Engineering and STEM using employer partners where relevant.
- Meeting the vision and values of Abbey College.
- Being an outstanding practitioner by undertaking a teaching commitment depending on the needs of the College.
- Attending College meetings and committees as required.
- Contributing to the Abbey College’s Ethos.
- Undertaking such other duties as are commensurate with the post and which may reasonably be required by the headmaster.
Key Skills required for the post.
- Be proficient in teaching 2D and 3D CAD software, across Level 2 and 3 vocational qualifications OCR and Edexcel BTEC
- Have a good knowledge and some practical experience of Secondary Machining Techniques which include turning, milling and drilling. Applicants must be able to demonstrate and assess students at Level 2&3 the use of these machines in a safe manner.
- Being able to develop and work to existing Schemes of Work for all Years.
- Teaching Engineering Principles at Level 3 which involves Applied Maths, Mechanical and Electrical, electronic Principles.
- Must be confident with using behaviour management strategies in the workshop.
- You will enhance young people’s futures by:
- Teaching students according to their educational needs, including the appropriate setting and marking of work to be carried out by the students.
- Assessing, recording, and reporting on the attendance, progress, development and attainment of students whilst keeping electronic records as required.
- Contributing to reports and references relating to individual students.
- Ensuring that ICT, Literacy and Numeracy are part of the teaching and learning experience of students.
- Ensuring a high-quality learning experience for students, which meet internal and external quality standards.
- Preparing and regularly updating subject materials.
- Using a variety of delivery methods, which will stimulate learning appropriate to student needs and demands of the syllabus.
- Maintaining discipline in accordance with the Abbey College procedures, and to encourage good practice regarding punctuality, behaviour, standards of work and independent learning.
- Undertaking assessment of students as requested by external examination bodies, departmental and College procedures.
- Marking and grading students work which enables you to give written/verbal and diagnostic feedback.
- Supporting and motivating students to allow them to grow and enhance their own skills in both achieving qualifications and work ready.
- Ensuring the maximum opportunity for young people to prepare for pathways into further learning, training, or employment.
- Engaging with employers to develop learner employability skills, ensuring work related learning experiences are at the core of the College curriculum.
- Ensuring all students understand the expected standards of behaviour and be prepared to intervene where these are standards are not followed.
- Ensuring a safe, secure, and healthy environment for students.
- Any other duties as commensurate with the level of this post and as directed by the headmaster.
- Ensure all pupils have equal access to learning using appropriate strategies and resources, where necessary.
- Liaise with pastoral staff members to ensure the wellbeing of pupils and their full participation in school life.
- Raise any concerns regarding pupils’ behaviour with the relevant Raising Standards Lead.
- Implement any specific arrangements for individual pupils, ensuring that relevant staff members are aware of the measures in place.
- Provide individual pastoral support to pupils, where necessary.
- Continuously motivate and challenge pupils, whilst promoting and reinforcing self-esteem.
- To have the ability to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and young people.
- Appreciate the significance of safeguarding and interprets this accurately for all individual children and young people whatever their life circumstances.
- To have a good understanding of the safeguarding agenda and can demonstrate an ability to contribute towards a safe environment.
- The ability to converse at ease with members of the public and provide advice and information in accurate spoken English is essential for the post.
- This job description will be reviewed and updated periodically in order to ensure that it relates to the job performed or to incorporate any proposed changes. This procedure will be conducted by the Headteacher or line manager in consultation with the post-holder. In these circumstances it will be the aim to reach agreement on reasonable changes but if agreement is not possible management reserves the right to make changes to the job description following consultation.
This job post has expired.