Inspire, transform, teach! We are currently looking to appoint a dedicated and inspiring Teacher of English.
At Harris Academy Purley , you will join a dedicated team of teachers and staff supporting our vibrant students. If you are looking for an opportunity to grow, inspire and develop, this may be the role for you.
The successful candidate will:
- Hold QTS (or equivalent) and a relevant undergraduate degree
- Have successful teaching experience at secondary level (can be teaching practice), ideally including experience in multi-ethnic urban schools and of working in an 11-18 school
- Understand the theory and practice of effective teaching and learning
- Understand the importance of high expectations and equality of access for all students, and of being a tutor
- Have knowledge of National Curriculum requirements at KS3 and KS4, and of writing lesson plans, developing resources and assessing students' work
- Be able to work as part of a team and to develop and maintain positive relationships with all staff
- Have a good level of ICT skills, ideally including innovative use of interactive white boards
- Be able to create a motivating and safe learning environment for all students
- Be able to communicate positively with parents, carers and other external agencies where necessary
- Have good written and spoken communication skills
- Be able to lead and manage their own work effectively
- Have excellent time management skills
- Be able to motivate students and raise their aspirations through a range of strategies
Working at Harris Academy Purley, you will make a real difference to the lives of young people and their families in South London who value the learning and school environment we offer. Our school is oversubscribed; we have families, from a number of boroughs, who choose us for the high standard of education we provide, and staff come from across London as well as Sussex and Surrey to come and work with us.
You will be given ample opportunities to develop and progress your career, and all staff are encouraged to develop their interests and areas of expertise. Our professional development is tailored to ensure all staff are able to continue learning regardless of their role or stage of career.
We strive for excellence and have high ambitions for the future whilst ensuring we maintain a clear focus on staff wellbeing and work-life balance. Our motto: To Learn, To Think, To Act is as true for our staff as it is for our students, and we are committed to investing in your experience with us.
Our people are at the heart of our success. We have developed a strong culture of collaboration and best practice, with professional development and career planning at its centre. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of top-quality training programmes delivered at every level to senior leadership.
We offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes our Harris Allowance for teachers on MPS/UPS, a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme, electric car scheme, a Wellbeing Cash Plan and many other benefits.
The purpose of your role will be:
- To implement and deliver an appropriately broad, balanced, relevant and differentiated curriculum for students and to support a designated curriculum area as appropriate.
- To monitor and support the overall progress and development of students as a teacher/form tutor
- To facilitate and encourage a learning experience which provides students with the opportunity to achieve their individual potential
- To contribute to raising standards of student attainment
- To share and support the academy's responsibility to provide and monitor opportunities for personal and academic growth
Your main areas of responsibility will fall under the areas of:
- Operational and strategic planning (including lesson planning, developing resources and syllabuses, and contributing to the departmental plan)
- Curriculum planning
- Staff development (including continuing professional development and engaging fully in the Performance Management Review process)
- Quality assurance (including contributing to the process of monitoring and evaluating the subject area)
- Management of information (including maintaining appropriate records and tracking student progress)
- Communications with students, parents and other stakeholders
- Pastoral system (including being a form tutor to a selected group of students)
- Teaching, ensuring a high quality learning experience for students
The Harris Federation and all our academies are committed to ensuring the highest levels of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people, and we expect all our staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check, references, an online search, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed.
This job post has expired.