- Job role
Suitable for early career teachers
- Working pattern
- Will consider full time, part time, term time
- Contract type
Teacher of English (full or part time)
Start date: Easter 2022
Salary: Main Pay Scale/Upper Pay Scale (Suitable for ECTs)
Costello is a Good school with Outstanding features – Ofsted, Nov 2021
Is there a job more important than helping a child find their voice? We don’t think so, and if you have a love of language and literature and a passion for reading we’d love to hear from you. If you’d love to work with a full team of specialist teachers, who share your passion for the written and spoken word, then you’ve just found the job for you.
You will join a close knit team that are achieving special things, with GCSE results well above national, and one that is at the forefront of learning in English. Our recent Ofsted inspection highlighted the exemplary practice in the English department – we’d love you to come and join our high performing team.
If you can:
• Inspire and innovate
• Nurture and develop (yourself as well as others)
• Commit to, and raise further, high achievement and motivation
• Optimise English learning for all
Then come and see us. Here’s just a few reasons why you’d be mad not to:
• Our greatest strength is our people and we work hard to make sure you know that. Wellbeing is central to all we do – you get 3 wellbeing days a year off, and 12 hours of time to undertake wellbeing activities including jewellery making, baking, quizzes and tea & cake!
• Not to mention the SLT breakfast we cook you, the end of term Christmas meal, Easter Egg hunt, or summer BBQ where we also give out awards, prizes, and champagne. Staff wellbeing is at our core – something recognised in our recent Ofsted inspection.
• Planning your lessons is crucial and it’s always easier when we collaborate – we’ve put in place hours of co-planning so that you can share best practice and resources and not have to sit at home doing it on your own.
• Our recent Ofsted inspection judged us as Good with Outstanding features, and said that ‘Leaders, teachers and support staff work together as a tight-knit team to meet these pupils’ pastoral and academic needs very well. Good relationships between staff and pupils ensure typically calm, respectful behaviour across the school. Pupils enjoy school and feel happy and proud to be here.
• Being part of The Bohunt Education Trust means you get dedicated time with like-minded colleagues from 7 other schools, specialist training opportunities, and career progression opportunities which open doors every year.
If you feel you could contribute to our success and pursuit of excellence please visit our website (https://www.costelloschool.co.uk/about/vacancies/) for details and an application pack, or contact Jana Niebauerova, HR Assistant, The Costello School, Crossborough Hill, Basingstoke, RG21 4AL, Tel: 01256 321263.
Closing date for applications: Monday 17 January 2022, 12 (noon).
Applicants are welcome to come and have a tour of the school and meet the team at any point, COVID restrictions allowing.
Bohunt Education Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting welfare of children and young people and requires all staff and volunteers to share and demonstrate this commitment. The successful candidate will be subject to an enhanced DBS check and other relevant pre-employment checks.
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
This job post has expired.
If you need these documents in an accessible format, please contact the school.
- School type
- Academy, ages 11 to 16
- Education phase
- School size
- 1129 pupils enrolled
- Age range
- 11 to 16
About The Costello School
The Costello School is a popular and successful comprehensive school providing education for students aged 11 – 16. The school also puts great emphasis on its work with our community partners which provides the foundation for our Learning Trust.
The school has established an orderly and caring environment and one of high academic standards with a strong pastoral system that supports a happy, caring school where students want to be.
The school is situated on the edge of Basingstoke and its buildings are well maintained with an appropriate range of specialist rooms. Great pride has been placed on the enhanced learning environment. There are extensive playing fields and, despite being a town school, looks over countryside to its rear.
The school premises centre on the buildings originally provided in 1912 for the Girls’ High School, then numbering about 150 students. Considerable extensions have been added at various times since then and the original building has been modernised and adapted to the needs of today.
The School has four main feeder schools which provide about 70% of our students with the remainder coming from other local schools. The town is served by two Further Education Colleges.