Teacher of English
We are looking for an enthusiastic and ambitious teacher of English to join our existing, high-performing and passionate team. We are committed to ensuring all students continue to achieve beyond their potential. This is an incredibly exciting opportunity to join a department dedicated to improving outcomes, aspirations and life chances of young people.
As an English department, we have gone from strength to strength in recent years and we are proud of our innovative, challenging and nurturing approach to educating the future generations. Our English curriculum is designed with one thing in mind – what will help our young adults the most throughout life? We begin our curriculum with an emphasis on the language of life (a theme that continues through to the end of year 11) and we then explore the ideas of human nature and modern life through our carefully selected texts.
As a department, we are keen to research new developments in educational pedagogy and how to embed this into our own practice in order to ensure that our students get the most out of their time at Leeds West.
Classroom Teachers - Expectations of all Academy staff:
• Teach across the age range of KS3 and KS4 to all abilities
• Ensure teaching and learning in the classroom maximises the potential of all students
• To be accountable for the progress of pupils taught as a subject teacher.
• Contribute to the development and delivery of an innovative and engaging English curriculum
• Be dedicated to personal continued professional development
• To share and support the school’s responsibility to provide opportunities for personal and academic growth.
Leeds West Academy is a school with a remarkable sense of community which has recently been judged as ‘Good’ across all areas of the Ofsted framework. In the Ofsted report inspectors commented; 'Leaders' have secured strong support of staff, who share their ambitious vision and inclusive values.’ Over the last 3 years three years the school has been on a rapid journey of improvement securing our best ever GCSE results in summer 2019. Housed within a state-of-the-art school building, with stunning views, Leeds West Academy is an oversubscribed 11-16 school, committed to delivering an outstanding education to each and every one of our students. Leeds West Academy is also a highly desirable and dynamic world-class establishment for ambitious education professionals, who will be joining one of the most productive, supportive and talented leadership teams in the country.
Part of The White Rose Academies Trust - the most rapidly improved family of schools in the region - Leeds West Academy is accelerating on a thrilling journey, which will ultimately see the school, its staff and its students, secure an Ofsted rating of outstanding.
The White Rose Academies Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its students and expect all staff and volunteers to share the commitment. Appointments will be subject to Safer Recruitment Procedures and a DBS check.
Essential educational requirements
• Degree in English or a closely related relevant subject
• PGCE or equivalent – the post is suitable for NQT candidates
Essential skills and experience
• Recent, relevant classroom practice
• Evidence of working with young people effectively
• Successful contributions to team work
• Teach to a high standard across all key stages
• Knowledge, understanding & commitment to equality, diversity & inclusion informed by practical experience and application
• Knowledge, understanding & commitment to safeguarding & promoting the welfare of students
• Good all round ICT skills
• Be able to reach a consistently good standard of teaching
• Ability to use progress data of students to benchmark, track & raise attainment of students for whom responsible
• Good working knowledge of assessment for learning approaches & their classroom application
• Possess strong interpersonal skills & be able to work effectively as part of a team
• To promote equality, diversity & inclusion & demonstrate this within the role.
• Ability to form and maintain appropriate relationships and personal boundaries with students
Staff at all levels feel well developed by both our departmental and whole school CPD programmes, including the partnership working we have with Leeds Learning Partnership and The Prince’s Teaching Institute.
We benefit hugely from our sponsor, The Luminate Education Group, which is one of the largest and most successful FE/HE College Groups in the UK. Our sponsor provides leadership and operational support and advice to all our Academies. They also share our vision of creating a truly Outstanding Trust.
About Leeds West Academy
- Intake Lane, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS13 1DQ
- Leeds West Academy website (opens in a new window)