We wish to appoint an outstanding leading practitioner who can offer vision, energy and creativity in the teaching of English. The English department are a cohesive team who demand the best from each other and from their students. The right candidate would benefit from entering a supportive environment with a blend of skills, innovation and experience.
We believe that schools must teach powerful knowledge, ‘the best that has been thought and said’, and an ‘entitlement curriculum for all. We believe in explicit instruction and have been greatly influenced by Lemov’s ‘Teach Like A Champion’, Rosenshine and recent developments in cognitive science. We believe that the creation of a scholarly culture that is warm and strict, disciplined and joyful, where there is ‘purpose not power’, ensuring impeccable behaviour, where teachers can focus on teaching and students can focus on learning, underpins everything.
Teaching and Learning is at the heart of what we do. Every decision is driven by its potential to impact on student learning. Our approach to teaching and learning is informed by robust research, constantly reviewed, and tailored to our unique context.
We are values – driven and our vision is to provide an inclusive, aspirational and academic education for all our students, so that all of them will learn, thrive and lead successful lives. We are unapologetically ambitious for every child, no matter what their background, prior attainment or needs. We want to ensure that all our students have the option to be able to go to university or aspirational alternative.
We value our staff highly and treat workload very seriously. Our systems are high leverage, ensuring you can really focus on your core purpose – teaching, in a sustainable way, unhindered by bureaucracy or poor behaviour.
As a Teacher of English, you will excel in the classroom – but, just as importantly, you will be instrumental in supporting your departmental colleagues to be the best they can be, in the classroom and beyond, and be involved in mentoring, coaching, professional development and challenge.
The ideal candidate will be an ambitious classroom practitioner with a desire to achieve strong outcomes. We need someone who wants to become a beacon of excellent practice in a classroom environment, whilst posing the muscularity of intellect and professional credibility to drive up standards in the classroom for all our young people. We would warmly welcome applications from NQT's and experienced teachers.
What we offer
- A variety of discounted services from supporting your wellbeing, to a car lease scheme and access to Perk Box
- Huge support and progression opportunities, part of the largest Academy Trust in England
- A knowledge rich curriculum, built on ‘powerful knowledge’ and a traditional T&L approach built around Rosenshine and TLAC
- Collaborative planning with centralised shared units of work and resources, developed by Trust subject specialist’s.
- Excellent support from United Learning central team colleagues
- A feedback policy focused on whole class feedback – no onerous marking policies
- Disruption-free learning and a ‘warm/strict’ behaviour system
- Highly visible/supportive senior leaders who have your back
- Centralised detentions, including homework detentions
- No formal graded lesson observations – just ongoing ‘no-stakes’ instructional coaching, helping you to continuously develop and grow
- Excellent ongoing CPD, career development and promotion opportunities
- Opportunity to complete NPQs and Trust Leadership Programmes
- Excellent views across Portsmouth, looking out at sea in a relatively new building
What we are looking for
- Highly effective professionals with excellent knowledge in their area of expertise
- Colleagues who are aligned to our values and mission. If you are the type of person who fits with our culture, you will love working here.
- Colleagues who passionately believes that all children can achieve, no matter what their starting point, background or needs. Someone that does not make excuses for what children can achieve.
We actively welcome visits and would be delighted to show you around our academy to appreciate fully our excellent culture and learning environment, please contact the academy using email@example.com to book a visit.
If you're interested in teaching or training to teach in England as an international citizen, we can help you understand your next steps
This school accepts applications through their own website, where you may also find more information about this job.
Skilled worker visa sponsorship is not available for this job.