Teacher, Suitable for NQTs
Fixed term (1 year)
Teacher of English
Part-Time Position – 1 Year Contract
In the range 0.5-0.7FTE (to be determined)
Start Date: September 2021
Applications are sought from enthusiastic, dedicated and well-qualified teachers of English to join a highly successful faculty within our exceptional school.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a dynamic, forward thinking, inspiring and energetic teacher with a real passion for English. You will be a motivated, enthusiastic and driven individual who has the skills and determination to make a significant difference to the lives of our students.
NQT applications welcome. The successful candidate will be able to teach English across Key Stages 3 – 5. The position is for one year in the first instance.
Pate’s combines a relaxed atmosphere with academic rigour, and the pupils are a pleasure to teach. The school has superb facilities in new buildings on a spacious site. We recognise that our staff are the most important reason for the school’s success and we invest heavily in the professional development of our team.
The English Department
• The English ‘corridor’ consists of five classrooms. There is also a departmental office where each member of the department has a workspace, in addition to a large and well-stocked storeroom.
• All classrooms house overhead projectors and audio-visual facilities.
• The department consists of the Head of English, a Second in Department and six further teachers of English, some of whom hold positions of responsibility elsewhere in the school. The successful applicant will be expected to teach throughout the age range, up to and including Year 10. There is the possibility of some Year 12 teaching though this is yet to be determined.
• Pupils in Years 7, 8 and 9 are taught in forms.
• In Year 10 students are divided into six teaching groups. We do not stream by ability.
• We currently follow the Eduqas GCSE syllabuses for English Language and English Literature in Years 10 and 11, whilst in the sixth form students study the Eduqas A-level in English Literature, a linear two year course.
• In 2019, students achieved over 90% 9-6 grades in both GCSE English Language and Literature and 77% of Year 13 Pre-U students achieved Distinction grades (prior to the switch to A-level).
• Extra-curricular activities include Debating, Public Speaking, Poetry Appreciation and Reading Group. Students are encouraged to enter creative writing and essay competitions throughout the year.
• Theatre visits are organised where possible, particularly where performances of set texts are available.
We are looking for:
• A well-qualified graduate who can teach the subject up to and including A-level.
• A passionate communicator with a real enthusiasm for the subject, capable of inspiring students and extending their studies beyond the confines of the curriculum.
• Someone who is aware of current developments in English and who maintains a lifelong commitment to learning.
• Someone with an appreciation of how IT can be used effectively in the English classroom.
• Someone who can work well in a team.
• Someone who will enjoy the life of a busy school and who would want to contribute to extra-curricular activities.
The post might well suit a recently qualified teacher looking to develop their teaching skills within a strongly academic environment or a more experienced colleague.
Applying for the job
Application by covering letter and Pate’s application form.
Deadline: Wednesday 12th May 2021 @ 9:00 am
Interview date – to be confirmed
Further details about the department, school and application form are available on the website www.patesgs.org. For further information contact Francesca Coppola, PA to the Head Master or email email@example.com
More on how to apply
If you need these documents in an accessible format, please contact the school.