|Job role||Suitable for NQTs|
|Working pattern||Full-time only|
|Salary||Main pay range 1 to Upper pay range 3, £23,720 to £39,406|
Secondary – Permanent – MPS / UPR – Start: 3 September 2020
The responsibilities of the post are to be performed in accordance with the provisions of the school teacher’s pay and conditions document and within the range of teachers’ duties set out in the document.
Team Leader of English and the Headteacher/nominated Leadership Group member linked to the subject.
Purpose of the Job:
To make a strong and enthusiastic commitment to English teaching at Roundhay School by seeking to raise the expectations and performance of all pupils in and out of the classroom.
1. To contribute, as directed, to the teaching of English and related areas.
2. To participate in the development of appropriate specifications, materials and schemes of work.
3. To vigorously support the general ethos of our school.
4. To monitor and control the storage, use of teaching materials and books related to English.
5. To help maintain the displays around the English teaching areas.
6. To contribute to the extra-curricular enhancement programme at Roundhay.
7. To maintain internal pupil records according to school, departmental, and national policies, set and monitor individual pupil targets.
8. To contribute as required to the preparation and marking of internal examinations in English.
9. To maintain the teaching area in a stimulating manner through display of work and keep a close eye on the fabric.
10. To implement the school reward system and contribute to the celebration of achievement.
11. To monitor and target set with pupils and staff in order to raise achievement
12. To contribute to departmental intervention.
13. To be a Form Tutor and mentor as appropriate and be fully involved in all aspects of school life.
14. To teach other subjects if and when required by the Headteacher
15. To attend all meetings as appropriate within school time budget, with colleagues and parents etc.
16. To carry out supervisory duties as required and any other duties commensurate with the post.
17. The job description and allocation of particular responsibilities may be amended through appropriate consultation from time to time.
Essential educational requirements
- Recognised teaching qualification in English
- Good honours degree, other relevant diplomas or qualifications (desirable)
- Able to teach all ability levels at GCSE
- Ability to teach A-level English Language or English Literature
- Capability of teaching English across a broad age and ability range
- Experience in teaching pupils from differing backgrounds and cultures
- Commitment to extra-curricular activities
- Very good health and attendance record
Practice and Intellectual Skills:
- Excellent Communication skills
Essential skills and experience
- Ability to maintain appropriate relationships and personal boundaries with children and young people
- Emotional resilience when working with challenging behaviours and appropriate attitude to the use of authority to maintain discipline
- These attributes will be identified by means of the application, interview and references as appropriate.
- Roundhay is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its pupils and expect all staff and volunteers to share the commitment. Appointments will be subject to an enhanced DBS disclosure.
• ‘World Class Schools’ Quality Mark
• A Leading Edge school ‘… that is all about its students’ (Ofsted)
• Over 160 students studying English in Sixth Form of 500+
• Ranked second in Leeds for APS Post 16
• 74% of pupils achieved 9 – 4 (a standard pass) in both English and mathematics GCSEs
• Excellent professional development / Teaching School Alliance Partner
• Most over-subscribed school in Leeds for the last 17 years
• 100% staff recommend the school as a place to work
• 'An outstanding Sixth Form' Ofsted
• The largest school sixth form in Leeds (500+)
• 'Staff training is excellent' Ofsted
• National Support School and Red Kite Teaching School Alliance strategic partner
• 'Behaviour for learning across the entire school is outstanding' Ofsted
|School type||LA Maintained School|
|Education phase||Primary, Secondary, 16-19|
|School size||2335 pupils enrolled|
|Age range||4 to 18|
|Ofsted report||View Ofsted report|
|School website||Roundhay School website (opens in a new window)|
About Roundhay School
Gledhow Lane, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS8 1ND