Teacher of English - Scalby School (NQT preferred)
Scalby School, Scarborough, North Yorkshire
|Subjects||English Language, English Literature|
|Working pattern||Full-time only|
|Salary||Main pay range 1, £24,000|
|Newly qualified teacher||Suitable|
MPS PLUS A £4,000 RECRUITMENT AND RETENTION PAYMENT AND ACCESS TO A RELOCATION REIMBURSEMENT OF UP TO £8,000 FOR THE RIGHT CANDIDATE
Start date: September 2020
‘Staff morale is high with staff welcoming the open conversations about teaching, and they welcome the ways leaders encourage the evaluation and sharing of what works’ Ofsted 2019
Why come and join our school?
Scalby School is a successful and popular 11-16 community school and in recent years we have become the school of choice in our local community. We were judged ‘good’ by Ofsted in 2019 and in 2019 we celebrated sustained results. Our provisional P8 score places us in the top 20% of schools nationally again. We are proud of our broad and balanced GCSE based curriculum.
Our students are diverse, exciting and talented – and the same is true of our staff. We put huge emphasis on professional development, most of it in-house, and are proud of the highly effective teaching, which characterises our school. We are also noted for our ‘can do’ attitude. We are keen, always, to encourage new and/or young staff to make their mark as soon as they are ready.
• A ‘Good’ school in every area as judged by Ofsted in 2012 and in 2019
• A school with above average Progress 8 score because our students exceed expectations.
• A school with a clear focus on teaching and learning. We are proud of our bespoke programme of nationally recognised, high-profile seminars designed by our Teaching School and with key note speakers from across the educational world.
• A leading school in the Scarborough and North Yorkshire area with a real focus on making sure all our staff develop professionally.
• A school where the development of the culture and character of our students is at the heart of our curriculum – so that all our students leave school knowing how to conduct themselves in the wider world.
• In 2019 66% of our Year 11 students achieved Grade 5 or better in GCSE English.
As a result of growing numbers we are looking to appoint an additional English colleague to our department which is fully staffed with subject experts.
As this post is designed to create additional capacity in our Department of English, it is specifically create to attract an NQT. What is understood is that we will support you, develop you and above all welcome you into our aspirational school.
You would join a English faculty of nine which is staffed with English specialists who continue to build year on year in terms of outcomes, curriculum and extracurricular options to our students. A key focus for the department is to build on the strengths and successes, and as our new teacher, you will work closely with the team who will support, develop and challenge you.
Essential educational requirements
Visits are actively welcomed for you to meet our Headteacher Michael McCluskie to discuss the above and shape the next stage of your career. Please contact James to organise.
The date of commencement for this post will be September 2020. Interviews will be held as soon as possible after the closing date.
Closing date: 3pm Friday 27th March
We reserve the right to close this vacancy early should we receive an overwhelming response. All candidates are advised to refer to the job description and person specification before making an application.
For an informal conversation about the role, to arrange a visit and for further details please contact James Annetts at Resourcing Solutions (North Yorkshire County Council) at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01609 534939 / 07966261249
Essential skills and experience
We are committed to safeguarding and protecting the welfare of children and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. A Disclosure and Barring Service Certificate will be required for all posts. This post will be subject to enhanced checks as part of our Prevent Duty.
We are looking for a Teacher of English who:
• Is passionate about teaching and has a creative and flexible approach for all key stages.
• Will model best practice teaching and learning across the department and support the development of quality teaching in the department.
• Will support, challenge and engage a diverse cohort of students, enriching their learning experience, maximising their potential and raising attainment
• Will play a key role in leading aspects of faculty CPD.
What we offer:
• Access to our Teaching School Alliance CPD which includes NQT, RQT and NPQML specific courses
• Access to our Chartered College of Teaching Hub – one of only 11 nationally
• Visible and supportive SLT so you can get on with teaching your subject to students who thrive within our climate for learning
• Tailored career pathways as you develop your teaching career with us.
|School size||979 pupils enrolled|
|Age range||11 to 16|
|Ofsted report||View Ofsted report|
|Website||Scalby School website (opens in a new window)|
Fieldstead Crescent, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO12 6TH