Teacher of English
This job expired on 15 July 2022
Job start date
1 September 2022
15 July 2022 at 9am
8 June 2022
- View all Englishjobs
Full-time equivalent salary
- MPS or UPS
Teacher of English job summary
Upload additional documents
If you need these documents in an accessible format, please contact the school.
About Thurston Community College
- School type
- Local authority maintained school, ages 11 to 18
- Education phase
- View all Secondaryjobs
- School size
- 1578 pupils enrolled
- Age range
- 11 to 18
- Ofsted report
- View Ofsted report (opens in new tab)
- School website
- Thurston Community College website (opens in new tab)
- Email address
- Phone number
- 01359 230885
Thurston Community College, Thurston, Bury St Edmunds, IP31 3PB
Tel: 01359 230885 Fax: 01359 230880
Principal: Nicki Mattin B.Ed (Hons) NPQH
Current Roll: 1600; Years 7-11: 1350; Sixth Form: 250
Thurston Community College is a large popular mixed comprehensive school. It comprises of two distinct and specialist sites. Our Thurston Campus, for students from Year 7 to Year 11 is situated four miles east of Bury St Edmunds. Thurston Sixth; Beyton Campus is located in the nearby village of Beyton, offering a bespoke centre of excellence for students in Year 12 and Year 13. Both locations provide an exciting, dynamic learning environment, where students display a positive attitude to learning and make good progress.
We are a school that boasts a strong sense of community and prides itself on its culture of high expectations and values. The wellbeing and education of every young person is fundamental to us. We work hard to provide a safe and happy environment within which every student can grow and achieve personal, social and academic success. We are proud of our inclusive approach and strive to ensure learning is enjoyable and seen as a lifelong process.
Our purpose is simple; to inspire a love of learning, empower our College community with the knowledge and skills to help them make meaningful choices and contribute positively to the world in which we live
To achieve excellence in all aspects of school life.
A new Principal was appointed in September 2021 and together with the Governing Body has set an exciting and aspirational vision for the College over the next five years. The person appointed will be a fundamental part in building on our already Good Ofsted Status (March 2018) and realising this vision to create:
1. A stimulating, accessible and safe learning environment in which our villages and towns come together as a community which is much more than the sum of its parts.
2. A high performing learning organisation
3. A culture of high standards, which reinforces excellent behaviour, mutual respect, tolerance and understanding of what it is to be a citizen, not only of the school, but of local, national and international societies.
4. At the heart of a wide network of partnerships that provide opportunities for mutual improvement and benefit.
If you are successful, you will be:
• An outstanding classroom practitioner with a proven record in raising student attainment;
• Passionate about providing every child with support, tools and capacity to make outstanding progress in all areas;
• A creative, inventive and dedicated classroom practitioner who shares our vision of achieving excellence and raising further standards of teaching and learning.
What we can offer
Our staff are our biggest asset, and the success of our students depends upon them. A few things we offer are:
• A comprehensive CPD programme for all staff
• For early careers teachers we can offer a start date of 4 July 2022, giving you the opportunity to embed yourself within the College community before the next academic year begins.
• A supportive, open and approachable leadership team
• Friendly colleagues who are always happy to help each other
• Employee Assistance Programme
• My Suffolk Benefits (Sodexo staff discount scheme)
• On site parking
• Free tea, coffee and biscuits!
If you are excited by this post, its challenges and opportunities; if you relish the prospect of joining our team of committed and excellent staff; We very much look forward to hearing from you. Please visit our website for further information or if you would like to discuss this post further please do not hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Arranging a visit to Thurston Community College
To arrange a visit and increase the chance of a successful application email email@example.com.
Similar jobs nearby
Get a job alert when similar jobs are listed
Find more school jobs in Suffolk