Teacher of Geography
This job expired on 15 May 2023 – see similar jobs
Start date details
15 May 2023 at 11:59pm
29 March 2023
- Key stage 3, Key stage 4
- View all Geographyjobs
- View all Full timejobs - Directed
Full-time equivalent salary
- MPS (Outer London) + £1,500 Harris Allowance
Performance and Loyalty Bonus + Harris Wellbeing Cash Plan + Pension Scheme (TPS) + Additional Harris Benefits
What skills and experience we're looking for
Inspire, transform, teach! We are currently looking to appoint a dedicated and inspiring Teacher of Geography.
At Harris Invictus Academy Croydon , you will join a dedicated team of teachers and staff supporting our vibrant students. If you are looking for an opportunity to grow, inspire and develop, this may be the role for you.
The successful candidate will:
- Hold QTS (or equivalent) and a relevant undergraduate degree
- Have successful teaching experience at secondary level (can be teaching practice), ideally including experience in multi-ethnic urban schools and of working in an 11-18 school
- Understand the theory and practice of effective teaching and learning
- Understand the importance of high expectations and equality of access for all students, and of being a tutor
- Have knowledge of National Curriculum requirements at KS3 and KS4, and of writing lesson plans, developing resources and assessing students' work
- Be able to work as part of a team and to develop and maintain positive relationships with all staff
- Have a good level of ICT skills, ideally including innovative use of interactive white boards
- Be able to create a motivating and safe learning environment for all students
- Be able to communicate positively with parents, carers and other external agencies where necessary
- Have good written and spoken communication skills
- Be able to lead and manage their own work effectively
- Have excellent time management skills
- Be able to motivate students and raise their aspirations through a range of strategies
What the school offers its staff
We Know. We Can. We Will.
We are very proud of our students; we know they understand the importance of a good education and we know they are committed to achieving the very best outcomes.
Our curriculum leaders know how vital it is to provide a challenging curriculum that will inspire and engage. Providing opportunities for students to develop a deep knowledge and understanding of the world around them.
We know it is important to provide opportunities for students to develop, not only through the taught curriculum, but beyond; through programmes such as the Duke of Edinburgh Award, the Music in Secondary Schools programme and the Jack Petchey Award. Creating chances for students to really shine and show how amazing they are.
Education with drive and ambition
We believe passionately in our mission statement – ‘We Know, We Can, We Will'. We never settle for less and are driven by achievement and success. To be a committed member of the Harris Invictus community is to aspire to learn and gain knowledge. We are able to apply what we know to the outside world. We can do it and we will succeed no matter the circumstances or difficulties we face.
Our people are at the heart of our success. We have developed a strong culture of collaboration and best practice, with professional development and career planning at its centre. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of top-quality training programmes delivered at every level to senior leadership.
In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes our Harris Allowance for teachers on MPS/UPS, a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme, electric car scheme, a Wellbeing Cash Plan and many other benefits.
Further details about the role
The purpose of your role will be:
- To implement and deliver an appropriately broad, balanced, relevant and differentiated curriculum for students and to support a designated curriculum area as appropriate.
- To monitor and support the overall progress and development of students as a teacher/form tutor
- To facilitate and encourage a learning experience which provides students with the opportunity to achieve their individual potential
- To contribute to raising standards of student attainment
- To share and support the academy's responsibility to provide and monitor opportunities for personal and academic growth
Your main areas of responsibility will fall under the areas of:
- Operational and strategic planning (including lesson planning, developing resources and syllabuses, and contributing to the departmental plan)
- Curriculum planning
- Staff development (including continuing professional development and engaging fully in the Performance Management Review process)
- Quality assurance (including contributing to the process of monitoring and evaluating the subject area)
- Management of information (including maintaining appropriate records and tracking student progress)
- Communications with students, parents and other stakeholders
- Pastoral system (including being a form tutor to a selected group of students)
- Teaching, ensuring a high quality learning experience for students
Commitment to safeguarding
About Harris Invictus Academy Croydon
- School type
- Free School, ages 11 to 18
- Education phase
- View all Secondaryjobs
- School size
- 916 pupils enrolled
- Age range
- 11 to 18
- Ofsted report
- View Ofsted report (opens in new tab)
- Email address
- Phone number
- 0203 371 3002
Harris Invictus Academy Croydon was rated ‘outstanding’ in every category following its first ever Ofsted inspection in October 2016: only the seventh secondary free school in London to achieve this. The academy opened with its first cohort in September 2014 and moved into a state-of-the-art, new building in September 2017. As of September 2018, Harris Invictus has students from Year 7 to Year 11. The academy is oversubscribed and located in an area of disadvantage.
Similar jobs nearby
London Nautical School
61 Stamford Street, London, SE1 9NA
Harris Girls' Academy East Dulwich
Homestall Road, London, SE22 0NR
Harris Boys' Academy East Dulwich
Peckham Rye, London, SE22 0AT
The Magna Carta School
Thorpe Road, Staines, Surrey, TW18 3HJ
Get a job alert when similar jobs are listed
Find more school jobs in Croydon