Teacher of Girls PE
JOB DESCRIPTION TEACHER OF PHYSICAL EDUCATION
Job Title: Teacher of Girls PE
Reporting to: Head of Physical Education
Duration: Temporary 12 months fixed term contract
To contribute to the development of a strong, effective school with an emphasis on high expectations and attainment. Demonstrate belief in the role of school in developing citizens for the future. Have a commitment to education and the needs and rights of all students. To develop supportive relationships with parents, partner schools/academies and broader community.
Meet the professional standards for teachers at the relevant skill level descriptor. To carry out duties of a school teacher in accordance with the provisions of the School Teacher’s Pay and Conditions Document.
Strategic direction and development of the school
• To provide inspiring and purposeful leadership for students within a caring and secure environment.
• To work in partnership with staff, students and parents in generating the ethos and values which underpin the school.
• To work within the overall aims and objectives of the school.
• Promote and deliver the priorities and policies of the school by contributing to School Improvement and Development Planning, by consistently and persistently implementing agreed policies and initiatives and adhering to the schools ethos within and beyond the school.
• Liaise as required with a range of educational partners, internal and external, to underpin the raising of student attainment.
• Support the school’s home and community liaison work through the appropriate participation in events.
Learning and Teaching
• Create and maintain an environment and a code of behaviour that promotes and secures good teaching, effective learning and high standards of achievement.
• Develop, use and apply their subject expertise to secure appropriate and consistent progress for all students across the range of background and ability.
• Develop and apply a range of effective learning and teaching strategies to raise the achievement of students, maintaining an up to date knowledge of good practice in Learning and Teaching techniques.
• Deliver extra-curricular activity as and when required to ensure the highest levels of participation, achievement and attainment.
• Deliver subject enrichment activities for learners to consolidate and promote learning in the subject.
• Observe and be observed by colleagues and utilise feedback effectively.
• Participate in pedagogic discussion and development, in order to share effective practice with colleagues.
• Use performance data to inform planning and teaching, including the evaluation of students’ progress and setting of appropriate targets for improvement.
• To make effective use of links with the community including business and industry, to extend the curriculum and enhance learning and teaching.
• Create and maintain an effective partnership with parents to support and improve student and community, achievement and personal development.
• To ensure subject policies, schemes of work and lesson planning are regularly reviewed in light of best practice.
Relationships with others
• Participate in Appraisal Cycle and professional development.
• To participate in the induction of new staff into the school community.
• To maintain good working relationships with colleagues, students, parents/carers, governors and the community to ensure all communication is consistent with the school’s ethos.
• Make best use of all resources to support the attainment of students.
• To ensure that parents/carers and students are well informed about the curriculum, attainment and progress and about the contribution they can make in supporting their child’s learning.
• To carry out any such duties as may be reasonably required by the Headteacher.
This appointment is with the Governing Body of the school. The job description forms part of the contract of employment of the person appointed to this post. It reflects the position at the present time only and may be reviewed in negotiation with the employee in the future.
This appointment is subject to the terms and conditions outlined in the employees Contract.
Essential educational requirements
A relevant degree qualification.
Qualified Teacher Status or working towards qualification.
Innovation & creativity to engage, enthuse & progress learners.
Essential skills and experience
Ability to teach to KS3 & KS4 PE
Ability to deliver effective learning and teaching in the classroom.
Ability to deliver the highest standards of behaviour management.
Current knowledge of curricula, specifications and assessment criteria in main subject area
Ability to prioritise conflicting demands.
Ability to set clear articulated targets, to track progress and adopt strategies towards achieving them.
Ability to use ICT and technology within the learning environment to deliver engaging lessons and monitor student progress effectively.
Ability to communicate effectively, articulately and sensitively with a range of groups and individuals, including effective feedback to accelerate learning.
Ability to provide pastoral support to young people in a form group setting.
About Witton Park Academy
- Buncer Lane, Blackburn, Lancashire, BB2 6TD
- Witton Park Academy website (opens in a new window)