Teacher of Mathematics
September 2019 sees significant student growth for The Sir Robert Woodard Academy (part of the Woodard family of schools), situated near Brighton on the South Coast. As such, we have some exciting new vacancies available, including the need for an additional Maths Teacher. As an Academy specialising in Mathematics, we are seeking an energetic and enthusiastic practitioner with thorough subject knowledge, to join us and the Maths department to continue to raise achievement in maths. We welcome applications from colleagues at all stages of their career, including NQTs. This is an incredible opportunity to join an excellent maths team who are very excited about the future outcomes of their students.
Quotes from last Ofsted report, Feb 2018:
"Staff morale is high."
"Pupils’ behaviour is good…Pupils come to lessons ready to learn.”
“An atmosphere of mutual trust and respect are strengths of the school.”
Quote from a current SRWA Teacher, September 2017:
“Having worked at SRWA for 3 years it is obvious that this Academy is on a huge upward trajectory. As a teacher here you have amazing opportunities to contribute to whole school CPD and to benefit from listening to the fascinating experiences of your colleagues. The staff are incredibly friendly and there is a real sense of purpose and togetherness in the way we work here. I’m personally delighted to be part of a team really helping to make a difference in the local community.”
We are committed to meeting the needs of all students by challenging them to achieve their potential. The Mathematics department is comprised of a dynamic team with a strong, shared purpose and commitment. Teaching is at least good with outstanding features in all key stages. The department is housed in our modern building with state of the art technology in every classroom. The Academy is partnered with a world leading company RICARDO Engineering which provides outstanding opportunities for our students and staff within the STEM subjects.
The Sir Robert Woodard Academy is a lively, fast-paced, passionate, demanding yet rewarding place to work. If you want to work with a team of people who love what they do and are prepared to go the extra mile in order to achieve results, and you want to work near Brighton, with all its rich cultural opportunities, then this may be the place for you.
This is an exciting time to join the school and a fantastic opportunity to make a positive difference to the life experiences and achievements of our students.
Early applications are encouraged and we reserve the right to interview and, if necessary, withdraw the advertisement before the closing date, should the right candidate be appointed. Visits to the Academy are welcomed.
The Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff to share in this commitment. All posts will be subject to receipt of two satisfactory references and successful applicants will be required to undertake an Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) Check.
Essential educational requirements
Undergraduate or Postgraduate Degree in Maths
UK Qualified Teacher status as recognised by the DfE for teaching in secondary education
Essential skills and experience
The successful candidate will:-
• demonstrate the skills of a good teacher
• be able to interest, encourage and engage students
• provide appropriate levels of challenge so that all students make good progress
• use methods and resources that enable all students to learn effectively
• use assessment information effectively to plan the next steps in students learning
• make effective use of their time
• secure high standards of behaviour from students
• be able to demonstrate a proven track record of recent and successful class teaching in mixed ability classes of aged 11-18 students (or of successful training for NQTs).
SRWA teaching staff benefit from the following:-
• a collaborative approach and strong collegial relationships;
• the opportunity to join and/or benefit from Action Research Groups;
• proven student progress;
• excellent student behaviour;
• an extensive CPD programme tailored to skills and experience;
• strong links with Brighton and Sussex Universities;
• an established STEM group including work with RICARDO Engineering, a world leading company supporting Mathematics at SRWA;
• free use of the Academy’s fitness suite;
• free on site car parking and easy access to local public transport;
• childcare voucher scheme;
• cycle to work scheme.
About The Sir Robert Woodard Academy
The Sir Robert Woodard Academy, part of the Woodard family of schools, is a thriving 11–18 Academy on the South Coast of England, serving primarily the students of Lancing, Sompting and West Shoreham in West Sussex. We are committed to ensuring that every student is known and nurtured and is provided with teaching and learning experiences that allow them to fulfil their potential.
- Upper Boundstone Lane, Sompting, West Sussex, BN15 9QZ
- The Sir Robert Woodard Academy website (opens in a new window)