Teacher of Science (Biology)
We are looking to appoint an inspirational and dynamic Teacher of Science (Biology) from September 2019 to teach across the curriculum, including GCSE, with the potential to teach A Level.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to join an outstanding school and a dynamic department that achieves excellent results across all areas at both GCSE and A level, benefits from excellent facilities and offers a wide range of co-curricular opportunities.
The science department at Ripley St Thomas comprises 14 full-time Science teachers, supported by 3 laboratory technicians, with a range of skills, experience and interests but all sharing a common purpose. All sciences are very popular at A Level, with large numbers of students building on their GCSE successes. Within the department there is a strong and supportive team dynamic; we extend a friendly welcome to all professionals who share our belief in hard work and our aspiration to excellence.
Essential educational requirements
Degree (or equivalent) in a relevant subject
Qualified Teacher Status
Essential skills and experience
• Effective teaching experience either as a qualified teacher or a trainee teacher across the age and ability range.
• Awareness and understanding of children’s development
• An ability to use ICT confidently in teaching
• Knowledge of a range of teaching methodologies
• Involvement in co-curricular activities
The ability to teach Sixth Form Biology would be an advantage.
Professional Knowledge and Understanding
Applicants should be able to demonstrate good knowledge and understanding of the following areas:
• The subject curriculum 11 - 18
• The principles of effective teaching and assessment
• Current educational issues
• Knowledge and use of ICT in schools
We can offer:
• A school with a distinctive Christian mission, ethos and strong traditions, dating back to 1864
• The opportunity to work in a school graded as outstanding in all areas by both Ofsted and SIAMS (Church school inspection)
• A highly achieving 11-18 school with consistently excellent results at GCSE and A Level
• Fantastic pupils who are hardworking, enthusiastic and impeccably behaved
• Supportive and aspirational parents
• A dedicated, enthusiastic and highly professional staff team
• A professional working environment in which all staff are valued, listened to and able to fully use their gifts and talents.
• The opportunity to contribute to outstanding teacher training as part of the Ripley TSA SCITT
• The opportunity to teach A Level in our large and expanding Sixth Form
• Excellent teaching resources and facilities, from the Grade 2* listed Chapel to brand new buildings and facilities
• Extra-curricular sporting facilities for staff including fully equipped gym, swimming pool and running track
Career development recruitment incentives:
• A bespoke CPD programme for all staff, exciting career opportunities and individual teaching and leadership coaching
• Access through the Teaching School to a range of middle and senior leadership programmes
About Ripley St Thomas Church of England Academy
Ripley St Thomas Church of England Academy is situated in the historic City of Lancaster within easy distance of the wonderful scenery of Morecambe Bay, the Lake District and the Yorkshire Dales. The academy is a member of The Bay Learning Trust and is a National Teaching School and National Support School with its own SCITT. Ripley has a deeply embedded Christian ethos and a tradition of nurture and service within a strong school community. Our young people are delightful, eager to learn and make a positive difference in society. Ripley is a large and very successful school with a long history and great tradition. We were designated as Outstanding in all categories in our most recent inspection. In addition, we were designated Outstanding in our recent Church School inspection and in the Ofsted inspection of our teacher training provision. There are currently over 1700 students on roll with over 380 of those in the sixth form and there are around 180 staff. We are privileged to work with wonderful young people who are keen to learn and eager to achieve. The school serves a wide community with pupils coming from around 60 feeder primary schools. Ripley is first and foremost a church school and all staff need to be fully supportive of the Christian ethos of the school. We look for teachers who will work hard and contribute to the whole school community. As a National Teaching School, we offer staff support and training of the highest quality. Teaching and Learning is our primary focus and all teachers work together on the craft of teaching. We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. We expect all staff to share this commitment. Appointments made are subject to satisfactory references and to an enhanced Disclosing and Barring Service check.
- Ashton Road, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1 4RS
- Ripley St Thomas Church of England Academy website (opens in a new window)