Teacher of Science (Physics Specialism)
This job expired on 19 February 2023 – see similar jobs
Job start date
1 September 2023
19 February 2023 at 11:59pm
7 February 2023
- Key stage 3, Key stage 4, Key stage 5
- View all Physicsjobs, View all Sciencejobs
- View all Full timejobs - our working day lasts from 8.30am to 4.00pm.
Full-time equivalent salary
- Commensurate with experience
Option of combining this post with a Head of Year responsibility, with a TLR of £3,990.
What skills and experience we're looking for
Key characteristics of the role include:
- to impart your passion for Science to the pupils you teach, whilst also ensuring their mastery of the subject.
- to assist the Head of Department in planning and delivering schemes of work for Key Stages 3, 4 and 5, and monitoring their effectiveness.
- to monitor the progress of pupils according to the department and school assessment policy, and advise on set changes.
- to enhance the quality of teaching and learning in the department by taking part in collaborative planning, sharing resources, mentoring and observing teachers, and participating in continuing professional development.
- to be a form tutor, and work collaboratively with your year group team.
- to contribute to the wider school life, such as events, trips, and co-curricular clubs.
The successful candidate will have:
- strong subject knowledge, a passion for science, and an ability to communicate that passion to pupils;
- an ability to teach all Sciences at Key Stages 3, and Physics at Key Stages 4 and 5 (as well as other specialisms if you desired) to all ability levels, including pupils with SEN;
- a proven track record of excellent Science and Physics teaching and, where relevant, outstanding outcomes for pupils at both GCSE and A-level;
- an understanding of the ethos of the WLFS, and a commitment to teaching a knowledge-based curriculum;
- high expectations of pupil conduct and behaviour;
- excellent team working skills;
- excellent communication skills with both pupils and staff;
- willingness to contribute to the school’s co-curricular programme.
What the school offers its staff
The West London Free School (WLFS) is a non-selective state school based in Hammersmith, West London. We are suited to teachers at all stages of their careers, priding ourselves on a supportive working environment and valuing the importance of staff wellbeing.
The WLFS provides all pupils, irrespective of their background, with a Classical Liberal education. By a Classical Liberal education, we mean a rigorous, knowledge rich education that draws from the most important work in both the humanities and the sciences. We believe that knowledge is a good in and of itself, empowering pupils to understand and take an interest in the world around them. We believe a secondary education is not just a preparation for work, but a preparation for life. As such, we value the knowledge of our teachers, and the passion for their subject that they bring to the classroom.
We have a firm but fair approach to behaviour:
- senior leaders see it as their responsibility to ensure all teachers can teach without disruption;
- school rules are non-negotiable, and poor behaviour is met by escalating sanctions;
- pupil detentions are centralised and run every day by heads of year and senior leaders.
- teachers can therefore prioritise planning and teaching their lessons.
We are very proud of our exam results at WLFS. In 2022, our headline figures were as follows:
- A-level: 45% of entries were graded A* to A, and 73% were graded A* to B.
- GCSE: 49% of entries were graded 9 to 7, and 88% were graded 9 to 4. Progress 8 was 0.61.
Our pupils go on to study at some of the best universities in the UK and abroad, with seven students accepted to courses at Oxford or Cambridge in 2022 alone.
Further details about the role
Commitment to safeguarding
Upload additional documents
If you need these documents in an accessible format, please contact the school.
About West London Free School
- School type
- Free School, ages 11 to 18
- Education phase
- View all Secondaryjobs
- School size
- 893 pupils enrolled
- Age range
- 11 to 18
- Ofsted report
- View Ofsted report (opens in new tab)
- School website
- West London Free School website (opens in new tab)
- Email address
- Phone number
- 020 8600 0670
The WLFS is one of the pioneering schools in the country for delivering a knowledge-rich education to all pupils, irrespective of birth or background. At the WLFS, we pride ourselves on the quality of the curriculum; the excellent behaviour of the pupils; the support provided by senior leaders; and the trust that we place in staff. Our 2022 results showed that our approach to teaching is delivering results. At A-level, 45% of entries were graded A* to A, and 73% were graded A* to B. At GCSE, 49% of entries were graded 9 to 7, and 88% were graded 9 to 4. Progress 8 was 0.61. Our pupils go on to study at some of the best universities in the UK and abroad, with seven students accepted to courses at Oxford or Cambridge in 2022 alone. We look for talented and ambitious individuals who share our vision for creating an exceptional school, and are committed to ensuring that every child has access to the best possible education.
Similar jobs nearby
Mill Hill County High School
Worcester Crescent, London, NW7 4LL
Woodside High School
White Hart Lane, London, N22 5QJ
Dormers Wells High School
Dormers Wells Lane, Southall, Middlesex, UB1 3HZ
Redden Court School
Cotswold Road, Romford, Essex, RM3 0TS
Get a job alert when similar jobs are listed
Find more school jobs in London