Teacher of Science, second in charge
Second in Department: Responsibility Science
Responsible to: Curriculum Leader
Grade: TLR 2C
Main Purpose of Job:
Assist and share responsibility for all the policies, decision-making and strategic planning involved in the leadership and management of the department, develop an ethos of high expectations and a culture of continuous improvement and take full accountability for a Key Stage and for other key areas of the department’s work.
• To be committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people within the school.
• To act in a loyal and professional manner around school and to contribute to the overall ethos/work/aims of the school.
• To be aware of and comply with policies and procedures relating to child protection, health, safety and security, confidentiality and data protection, reporting all concerns to an appropriate person.
• Be aware of and support difference and ensure equal opportunities for all.
• To attend and support appropriate meetings/courses and to undertake any training as deemed necessary, in order to keep abreast of development.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
Catholic Ethos, Mission and Vision
• To deputise for the Curriculum Manager when required
• To ensure that the Catholic Mission and Ethos of the School is actively encouraged and developed
Leading Teaching and Learning
• To line manage and performance manage designated staff within the department
• To support the Curriculum Manager in monitoring teaching and learning in the department
• To maintain a commitment to own professional development, and to lead subject-specific CPD in the department and promote the sharing of good practice
Curriculum Development and Intervention
• To coordinate a designated Key Stage:Scheme of Work, AfL, data analysis, intervention strategies, support for cohorts (AEN, FSM, G&T, EAL, Literacy)
• To support the Curriculum Manager in curriculum development and intervention across the department
• To advise on the purchase and deployment of resources in the designated Key Stage
• To assist the Curriculum Manager in all aspects of data analysis and interpretation
• To carry out research related to curriculum development and report to the Curriculum Manager
• To organise and provide intervention lessons, materials and revision classes for targeted students
• To liaise with colleagues in other subject areas to develop cross curricular links and projects
Pastoral Care, Discipline and Behaviour for Learning
• To support the Curriculum Manager and the department in transition, options, PSHE, WRL and IAG
• To communicate and consult with parents
• To support the Curriculum Manager in managing discipline, Behaviour for Learning and pastoral care in the department.
• To manage the departmental detention system, including the logging of student detentions and communication with parents.
• To co-ordinate the departmental offer of enrichment activities to students
• To contribute to the department’s commitment to ITT, NQT and GTTP support.
• To act as a coach/mentor for other staff in the Department
To undertake an agreed whole-school responsibility
The Second in Department may be required to undertake any other reasonable tasks as required by Executive Principal, Academy Principal, Senior Assistant Headteacher, Assistant Headteacher or Curriculum Manager.
This job description is current at the date shown, but, in consultation with the postholder, may be changed to reflect or anticipate changes in the job commensurate with the grade and job title
Essential educational requirements
Degree level qualification in Science.
An outstanding UK Qualified Teacher.
Essential skills and experience
A team player who is able to work collaboratively with others and able to inspire students.
Committed to outstanding standards in all areas and willing to lead by example.
Passionate about their specialism and willing to share skills and expertise.
About Ursuline College
Roman Catholic Academy for pupils aged 11 to 19 years
- 225 Canterbury Road, Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, CT8 8LX
- Ursuline College website (opens in a new window)