TEACHER OF TECHNOLOGY - preferred specialism Engineering and Construction
You are required to carry out the professional duties of a classroom teacher as set out in the current School Teachers’ Pay and Conditions Document.
You are expected to demonstrate consistently high standards of personal and professional conduct.
You should also have due regard to the current Teachers’ Standards which your performance will be assessed against as part of the appraisal process.
• Maintain an up to date knowledge and understanding of the professional duties and responsibilities of teachers and the statutory frameworks.
• Plan teaching and differentiate appropriately to build on existing student capabilities demonstrating knowledge and understanding of how students learn by having a clear understanding of their individual needs e.g. EAL, disabilities etc.
• Use a wide variety of strategies to create a positive learning environment and maximise achievement for all students.
• Apply a range of teaching and learning strategies to reduce individual barriers to learning and to meet student needs.
• Use relevant data to monitor progress, set targets, and plan subsequent lessons, taking account of students’ prior levels of attainment.
• Be responsible for the preparation and development of teaching materials, teaching programmes and pastoral arrangements as appropriate.
• Regularly review the effectiveness of your teaching and assessment procedures and their impact on students’ progress, attainment and wellbeing.
• Be accountable for the attainment, progress and outcomes of the students you teach.
• Work with other staff on curriculum and/or student development to secure co-ordinated outcomes.
• Demonstrate an understanding of, and take responsibility for promoting, high standards of literacy including the correct use of spoken English (irrespective of your specialist subject).
• Make accurate and productive use of assessment to secure students’ progress.
• Mark and monitor students’ class-work and homework, providing regular and constructive oral and written feedback, and set appropriate targets for students’ progress.
• Use a range of monitoring and assessment strategies to evaluate student progress and to improve your own planning and teaching.
• Support and promote the school’s ethos, aims and core values in order to promote the welfare, progress, attainment levels and continued development of the school and its students.
• Participate in arrangements for preparing students for external examinations.
Behaviour and Safety
• Establish a safe, purposeful and stimulating environment for students using praise, sanctions and rewards in a consistent and fair manner.
• Manage classes effectively, using approaches which are appropriate to students’ needs in order to inspire, motivate and challenge students.
• Maintain good relationships with students, exercising appropriate authority.
• Be an appropriate role model and demonstrate consistently the positive attitudes, values and behaviour which are expected of students.
• Have high expectations of behaviour, promoting self-control and independence of all learners.
• Contribute to the development, implementation and evaluation of the school’s policies, practices and procedures to support the school’s values and vision.
• Play a key role in assemblies, open evenings and other major school events.
• Work as a team member and identify opportunities for promoting productive relationships with colleagues and for sharing the development of effective practice with them.
• Further support the climate for learning, improve the school’s ethos and maintain our culture of achievement and high expectation.
• Develop effective working relationships with schools, partners, and other agencies.
• Follow the school’s safeguarding policies and procedures to create and maintain a safe environment for student learning.
• Participate fully in CPD activities and appraisal arrangements.
• Any other reasonable duties as requested by the Headteacher
Essential educational requirements
Good honours degree in a relevant discipline
Qualified teacher status or QTLS
Evidence of current CPD activity
Essential skills and experience
Evidence of successful teaching.
A proven track record of successfully delivering a least ‘good’ teaching with evidence of student progress
Experience of using effective systems for quality assurance to support raising achievement
Experience of the assessment requirements for the subjects/curriculum areas
Experiencing of incorporating ICT into learning opportunities
Experience of accurately assessing student progress
Excellent interpersonal and general communication skills
Good knowledge of the secondary curriculum and national priorities
Ability to develop and maintain a well organised and creative learning environment
Knowledge and understanding of how to use and adapt a range of teaching, learning and behaviour management strategies
Skills in developing and maintaining effective partnerships within the school community
Knowledge of current safeguarding issues
Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Ability to prioritise workload to meet deadlines
About Ridgewood School
Staff and students at Ridgewood work hard every day to embody the school’s core values: Excellence, Teamwork, Enjoyment and Integrity. We are enjoying a trajectory of continued success and look forward to welcoming a successful applicant who can join us on our journey. We became a standalone academy in 2011, and we are incredibly proud of the progress we have made as a school, having laid strong foundations for further improvement going forward. Our school motto, ‘Prepare for the road ahead’, represents our belief in preparing our staff and students for their future. We exemplify our motto not only in terms of academic achievement, but also in terms of the training, enrichment and experiences which make us all model citizens. Our school values underpin what we do and contribute to our ethos in everything we undertake as a school community. We set our standards high and do not compromise, because we believe in the best for everyone.
- Barnsley Road, Doncaster, South Yorkshire, DN5 7UB
- Ridgewood School website (opens in a new window)