Teachers of Science (with specialism in Chemistry or Physics)
3 days remaining to apply
Job start date
1 September 2023
27 March 2023 at 5pm
16 March 2023
- Key stage 3, Key stage 4, Key stage 5
- View all Full timejobs - Full time
- M1-M6, UPS1-3
What skills and experience we're looking for
If you believe that young people should ‘Dare to Be’ then dare to join us! We are looking for well-qualified and enthusiastic graduate teachers of science, and specifically of Physics and Chemistry, to join this thriving, popular and high-achieving department. The Sciences are popular subjects here at TBGS, with a significant uptake in the sixth form where students can choose from A level or the International Baccalaureate. Many of our young people go on to study one of the three Sciences offered or Science-related degrees in Higher Education. Applications will be reviewed as they are received, with interviews taking place as and when suitable applications are received. As such, early application is advised. This post offers a committed and enthusiastic teacher the opportunity to join a flourishing department, and we look forward to hearing from you.
What the school offers its staff
- A supportive work environment.
- A commitment to wellbeing including incentives such as health care provided by Simply Health, free staff parking and tea/coffee, and respect for professional autonomy.
- An open culture, where colleagues feel safe in disclosing any mental health conditions and one in which every individual feels properly supported with reasonable adjustments being discussed and offered when required.
- Opportunities for collaboration through academic links through the South West Academic Trust, a group of schools including Torquay Girls’, Churston, Colyton, Bournemouth, Poole and South Wilts. Grammar Schools, which works with staff from Exeter University to extend the challenges and opportunities for both staff and students.
- The successful candidate will find a very supportive working environment with high professional standards and a strong work ethic. There are excellent opportunities for talented and lively teachers; anyone joining the department will be encouraged to take a full and active part in its work and activities, as a strong team spirit pervades through all staff sharing ideas, resources and peer support in order to continue to improve teaching and learning opportunities.
Further details about the role
Science is among the most popular subjects at TBGS. We have highly-qualified specialist teachers, laboratories, and technicians in each of Biology, Chemistry and Physics. Students study a combined science programme in years 7 and 8, before branching into the 3 disciplines from year 9. As a high-performing school, most students sit the 3 separate GCSEs, although a few are guided to the trilogy double-award to ensure they are best equipped to achieve their best. Uptake for the sixth-form is high, with multiple classes running across the sciences in both A-level and the International Baccalaureate.
Science is taught through a series of challenging, stimulating and innovatively delivered courses from KS3 to KS5, where practical and theoretical aspects are carefully blended to ensure the highest educational outcomes not only in terms of results but also deeper scientific understanding and appreciation. A significant number of students go on to study science or science-related degrees in Higher Education.
A number of extra-curricular opportunities thread through the year include the CREST award, Olympiad competitions, annual Science Fair and MedSoc.
This department is housed in 16 purpose-built laboratories and multiple well-resourced prep rooms with an excellent range of equipment. Laboratories feature visualisers, and there is a comprehensive set of Dataharvest Datalogger sensors. The department is also lucky to have its own observatory, housing a Celestron C1400 EdgeHD, a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope, combined with a high-definition optical system for wide field, astrograph quality images. This state-of-the-art resource may be used with students to observe Sun-related phenomena, and, by arrangement, on suitable evenings. The department therefore offers a supported self-study GCSE Astronomy course (Edexel), which can be taken by a student in any year, and is taught via short lunch time sessions to check progress.
Commitment to safeguarding
Applying for the job
Please complete the online application.Apply for this job
Upload additional documents
If you need these documents in an accessible format, please contact the school.
About Torquay Boys' Grammar School
- School type
- Academy, ages 11 to 18
- Education phase
- View all Secondaryjobs
- School size
- 1087 pupils enrolled
- Age range
- 11 to 18
- Ofsted report
- View Ofsted report (opens in new tab)
- School website
- Torquay Boys' Grammar School website (opens in new tab)
- Email address
- Phone number
Do you believe that young people should be inspired to ‘Dare to Be’? Or ‘Dare to Dream’? Or just ‘Dare to ….? This is the TBGS mantra and says everything about the aspirations that we wish for our students. We are an academically selective school set on a beautiful, green site on the edge of Torquay in South Devon, producing outstanding examination results, but we are also known as a school that dares to provide a truly holistic education for our young people together with a strong pastoral commitment to the well-being of both students and staff. Since 1904, we have been educating able boys and since 2010 have extended our intake to able girls in the Sixth Form. The feedback we have received, and the evidence of our students’ excellent examination results, suggest that we are continuing to provide a first-class education. Our TBGS students are encouraged to enjoy learning for its own sake, developing creative talents and fulfilling their intellectual potential; our caring environment and strong pastoral system nurtures this academic excellence. Dare to join us!
Arranging a visit to Torquay Boys' Grammar School
To arrange a visit and increase the chance of a successful application email email@example.com.
Similar jobs nearby
Teacher of Science -Teignmouth Community School, Exeter Road
Teignmouth Community School, Exeter Road
Exeter Road, Teignmouth, Devon, TQ14 9HZ
Get a job alert when similar jobs are listed
Find more school jobs in Devon, Plymouth and Torbay