Harris Academy Merton is looking for a Teaching Assistant to specialise in supporting students with English as an additional language to enable access to learning, contributing to the development and maintenance of a purposeful, nurturing learning environment.
We would like to hear from you if you have:
- Experience of working with students who have English as an additional language
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Some knowledge of strategies in working with young people with challenging behaviours
- Knowledge of some of the social issues facing students from disadvantaged backgrounds
- Awareness of Health and Safety issues in the workplace
- Experience of working directly with young people in an education or training environment, supporting the learning of students
- Experience of establishing and maintaining positive working relationships with a range of stakeholders, at all levels
- Experience of managing and being responsible for own workload
For a full job description and person specification, please download the Job Pack.
At Harris Academy Merton we promote the ethos ‘'Achievement is Success'' and believe every student has the right to the highest standard of education so that they can accomplish their aspirations. Our aim is to give every student an educational experience that is enjoyable and holistic so that they develop into responsible, articulate and successful young people.
We combine the traditional values of strong discipline, good manners, respect and pride in appearance with contemporary best practice in teaching and technology. With these core values embedded, we develop our students into confident and capable individuals that have a desire to excel academically and personally now and in the future.
Our people are at the heart of our success. We have developed a strong culture of collaboration and best practice, with professional development and career planning at its centre. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of top-quality training programmes delivered at every level to senior leadership.We look for talented individuals who share our vision for creating exceptional places of learning, and are committed to ensuring that every child in London has access to the best possible education.In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes our Harris Allowance for teachers on MPS/UPS, a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme, electric car scheme, a Wellbeing Cash Plan and many other benefits.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Supporting students with English as an additional language
- Supervising and supporting identified students, in 1:1, group or whole class situations, ensuring their safety and access to learning
- Assisting in the development of appropriate resources, schemes of work and teaching strategies, working with the teacher to ensure the provision supports each identified student's learning needs
- Assisting in evaluating identified students' progress through agreed assessment activities
- Providing detailed and regular feedback to teachers on students' achievement, progress and needs
- Leading small group sessions and interventions as appropriate
- Attending to the students' personal needs where required
- Supporting with behaviour management, using appropriate strategies in line with academy policy
- Contributing to creating a purposeful and supportive learning environment.
- Undertaking structured and agreed learning activities/teaching programmes as appropriate, adjusting activities to ensure achievement of learning goals
The Harris Federation and all our academies are committed to ensuring the highest levels of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people, and we expect all our staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check, references, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed.
If you're interested in teaching or training to teach in England as an international citizen, we can help you understand your next steps
Skilled worker visa sponsorship is not available for this job.