- Fixed term (to be agreed)
Full-time equivalent salary
- Grade 2 (Outer London): £18,390.30-£18,722.74/£12,260.20-£12,481.83 actual salary (based on £21,408-£21,795 FTE)
In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package. Please visit the Harris careers website for more information.
Teaching Assistant job summary
Harris Academy Beckenham is currently looking for enthusiastic teaching assistants to join its thriving learning environment on a fixed-term contract.
We can be flexible on full-time or part-time (25 hours per week) contracts for these roles.
The successful candidate will support individuals and groups of students to enable access to learning, contributing to the development and maintenance of a purposeful, nurturing learning environment. Your main responsibilities will include:
- Supervising and providing particular support for identified students, in 1:1, group or whole class situations, assisting in the development of appropriate resources, schemes of work and teaching strategies and in evaluating identified students’ progress through agreed assessment activities
- Leading small group sessions and interventions as appropriate, and undertaking structured and agreed learning activities/teaching programmes as appropriate
- Attending to the students’ personal needs where required
- Supporting with behaviour management
- Assisting with the supervision of students out of lesson times, including break and lunch times, and on visits, trips and off-site activities as required
- Encouraging students to interact with others and engage in activities led by the teacher.
- Preparing the classroom as directed for lessons and clear afterwards, and assisting with the display of students’ work
- Providing clerical/admin support as required e.g. photocopying, typing and filing
As part of Harris, you will join a community of staff dedicated to transforming education in London. With a multitude of progression routes and outstanding CPD for support staff, expect to be supported throughout your career whether in our central team or in one of our 50 academies. Join us in our mission to positively contribute to cultivating an exceptional learning environment for all our students.
What we are looking for
We look for talented individuals who want to be a part of transforming education in London, and helping create exceptional places of learning.
The successful candidate will have:
- Some knowledge of strategies in working with young people with challenging behaviours
- Knowledge of some of the social issues facing students from disadvantaged backgrounds
- Awareness of Health and Safety issues in the workplace.
- Experience of working directly with young people in an education or training environment, supporting the learning of students.
- Experience of establishing and maintaining positive working relationships with a range of stakeholders, at all levels.
- Experience of managing and being responsible for own workload.
Please download the job pack for a full job description and person specification.
Being a part of the Harris Federation
We are recognised as the top performing large multi-academy trust in England for primary and secondary education. Closing the gap between young people from disadvantaged backgrounds and their peers has always been a core mission of Harris. Holding a reputation for bringing transformative approaches to education, we hold a unrivalled track record in achieving success through rapid school improvement.
Our people are at the heart of this success. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of training programmes available at every stage of your career.
We look for talented individuals who share our vision for creating exceptional places of learning, and are committed to ensuring that every child in London has access to the best possible education.
The Harris Federation and all our academies are committed to ensuring the highest levels of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and we expect all our staff and volunteers to share in this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, references, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants.
Diversity and Equality
We are committed to equality and to valuing diversity as an employer and a provider of education.
This job post has expired.
About Harris Academy Beckenham
- School type
- Academy, ages 11 to 18
- School size
- 1135 pupils enrolled
- Age range
- 11 to 18
About Harris Academy Beckenham:
Since opening in 2011, Harris Academy Beckenham has gone from strength to strength. We have been oversubscribed for the last three years, rapidly becoming the school of choice in the local area. Our GCSE and A Level results have improved each year, with our English and Maths combined score in 2016 reaching an outstanding 80% A*-C. Our ambition and aspiration will ensure that we continue to focus on the success of all of our students, irrespective of background. Since converting, results have dramatically improved and we secured a judgment of ‘Outstanding’ from Ofsted in 2017.
Why work at Harris Academy Beckenham?
‘The school’s culture of aspiration and ambition is clearly demonstrated in classes. Teachers are aspirational for their pupils and set high expectations for them. Pupils respond positively. They are determined to do their best and are confident about meeting ambitious targets set by their teachers.’ (OFSTED 2017)
We invest in training and resources for our staff to help them make lessons fun, interesting and engaging. Class sizes are kept as small as possible and we place a firm emphasis on good behaviour so that students can learn in a calm and orderly environment.
It is our ethos of "Aspire, Discover, Achieve" that was recognised and praised in our recent inspection, and which contributed to Harris Academy Beckenham being judged as ‘outstanding’ in every category. In addition, the outstanding progress made by our students, placing us as the most successful school in Bromley (Progress 8 2016), vastly impressed the inspectors.
We have a harmonious community with excellent relationships between students and staff, and our students have a focused and mature attitude towards their academic studies.