Grade 2 (Outer London): £16,722-£17,024 actual salary (based on £21,408-£21,795 FTE)
We are currently looking to appoint a Teaching Assistant to join our thriving learning environment at Harris Academy Orpington.
We are striving for excellence in attitude, ambition and achievement. We are transforming an academy and community as we work towards outstanding performance in all areas. This is an excellent opportunity for an ambitious professional to join our team of committed staff who share a common sense of purpose and high expectations of what students can achieve. Our dedicated team provides a supportive network both onsite as well as support across the Federation to ensure all our staff feel encouraged to do their best. Join a community of dedicated, friendly staff standing by and upholding its mission:
"We aim to inspire and support every student to achieve his or her personal best by fostering a love of learning, a passion for enquiry and a dedication to being the best they can be. We take a collaborative approach to getting the very best out of each other and believe that we can achieve much more together."
The successful candidate will support individuals and groups of students to enable access to learning, contributing to the development and maintenance of a purposeful, nurturing learning environment. Your main responsibilities will include:
As part of Harris, you will join a community of staff dedicated to transforming education in London. With a multitude of progression routes and outstanding CPD for support staff, expect to be supported throughout your career whether in our central team or in one of our 50 academies. Join us in our mission to positively contribute to cultivating an exceptional learning environment for all our students.
- Supervising and providing particular support for identified students, in 1:1, group or whole class situations, assisting in the development of appropriate resources, schemes of work and teaching strategies and in evaluating identified students’ progress through agreed assessment activities
- Leading small group sessions and interventions as appropriate, and undertaking structured and agreed learning activities/teaching programmes as appropriate
- Attending to the students’ personal needs where required
- Supporting with behaviour management
- Assisting with the supervision of students out of lesson times, including break and lunch times, and on visits, trips and off-site activities as required
- Encouraging students to interact with others and engage in activities led by the teacher.
- Preparing the classroom as directed for lessons and clear afterwards, and assisting with the display of students’ work
- Providing clerical/admin support as required e.g. photocopying, typing and filing
What we are looking for
We look for talented individuals who want to be a part of transforming education in London, and helping create exceptional places of learning.
The successful candidate will have:
Please download the job pack for a full job description and person specification.
- Qualifications to degree level or equivalent
- Some knowledge of strategies in working with young people with challenging behaviours
- Knowledge of some of the social issues facing students from disadvantaged backgrounds
- Awareness of Health and Safety issues in the workplace.
- Experience of working directly with young people in an education or training environment, supporting the learning of students.
- Experience of establishing and maintaining positive working relationships with a range of stakeholders, at all levels.
- Experience of managing and being responsible for own workload.
Being a part of the Harris Federation
We are recognised as the top performing large multi-academy trust in England for primary and secondary education. Closing the gap between young people from disadvantaged backgrounds and their peers has always been a core mission of Harris. Holding a reputation for bringing transformative approaches to education, we hold a unrivalled track record in achieving success through rapid school improvement.
Our people are at the heart of this success. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of training programmes available at every stage of your career.
We look for talented individuals who share our vision for creating exceptional places of learning, and are committed to ensuring that every child in London has access to the best possible education.
Learn more About Harris and our Vision and Values
The Harris Federation and all our academies are committed to ensuring the highest levels of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and we expect all our staff and volunteers to share in this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, references, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants.
Read our Statement on the Recruitment of Ex-Offenders
Diversity and Equality
We are committed to equality and to valuing diversity as an employer and a provider of education.
Read our Diversity and Equality Notice
In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package. Please visit the Harris careers website for further information.
Applying for the job
Please download the Job Pack for full details on the job responsibilities and person specification. You will need this when completing your online application.
If you have any questions about this opportunity, please contact us via e-mail, or call to arrange a conversation.
Please note: we may hold interviews as and when applications are received, and this job may be withdrawn without notice. Applications will only be considered if submitted online and before the closing deadline. With this in mind, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible.More on how to apply (opens in new tab)
Academy, ages 11 to 18
800 pupils enrolled
11 to 18
About Harris Academy Orpington
Harris Academy Orpington opened in September 2016, joining the highly successful Federation of Harris academies in London. We are on our journey to outstanding, we are ambitious and looking forward to an exciting future. We believe that every student can and should achieve their full potential and our commitment is one of ensuring our students develop a love of learning, a passion for enquiry and a dedication to being the best that they can be.We aim to ensure that every student is inspired and supported to achieve his/her personal best and learning comes first. Our motto is “Together We Can” and if you are interested in joining us, we would be very pleased to meet you.
As an academy, we make no excuses for having the highest expectations of our students; we believe that we should all practise courtesy, consideration and cooperation and we instil these values in the students from their very first day.
We aim to inspire and support every student to achieve his or her personal best by fostering a love of learning, a passion for enquiry and a dedication to being the best they can be. We take a collaborative approach to getting the very best out of each other and believe that we can achieve much more together.
Our curriculum is designed to encourage students to become committed, optimistic, resilient and enterprising. Learning is not just something that happens inside the classroom. We believe the young people need to learn to be internationally minded, tolerant and accepting. With one of the world’s most exciting cities on our doorstep, we do everything we can to ensure that the boys and girls in our Academy experience the best of what a big city has to offer, including museums, libraries, architecture and much more.