Annual or full time equivalent salary
- SET Grade 6, full time salary scale £21269 - £23953
- Pro-rata salary scale £17458.90 - £19662.09
Teaching Assistant (Special School) Level 3 job summary
St Andrew’s is a day/residential special school for pupils with severe learning difficulties and ASD aged 11 -19 years. Shaw Academy Trust are seeking to appoint suitably qualified (minimum of 3 years’ experience working with complex and challenging SEN young people is essential) Teaching Assistants to join our friendly and hardworking team in this successful and well regarded school developing our KS3, KS4 & Post 16 provision.
• Provide structured support in accordance with specific work programmes designed and supervised by individual teachers
• Assist students in matters of personal needs and their general health including first aid and welfare matters.
• Assist in maintaining classroom discipline through the implementation of the schools behaviour management strategies.
• Promote and safeguard the welfare of students and young persons you are responsible for or come into contact with.
Person specification :The successful applicant will:
• Have NVQ 3 for Teaching Assistants (or demonstrate equivalent knowledge skills and experience
• Have well-developed interpersonal skills to be able to relate well to a wide range of people.
• Work constructively as part of a team whilst being able to demonstrate initiative.
• be a professional and respectful approach which demonstrates support and shows mutual respect
• Demonstrate a positive attitude including suggesting solutions, participating, trusting and encouraging others and achieving expectations
• be committed to the continuous development of self and others by keeping up to date and sharing knowledge, encouraging new ideas, seeking new opportunities and challenges, open to ideas and developing new skills.
We are a school where students are offered a unique and inspiring curriculum, which enables each child to meet their full potential both now and in the future. Our inquiry-based curriculum promotes the highest standards of literacy and mathematics skills whilst allowing pupils to
develop their curiosity and thirst for learning, a sense of personal health wellbeing and a creative approach to problem solving. We aim to inspire and enthuse every pupil through the challenge of learning.
Rewards; SET offer 28 day’s paid holiday (rising to 30 days’ holiday after 5 years’ service) + bank holidays (Support staff only). Access to The Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) as a valuable part of the pay and reward package for employees working in the Shaw Education Trust.
The services of Occupational Health to support staff health and well-being.
St Andrew’s Academy will offer:
• A full induction and staff training programme as well as opportunities to undertake training
• Committed and enthusiastic staff in an environment that values everyone
• Innovative Leadership Team that are driven and experienced to support and encourage your professional development
• Inspirational cohort of students eager to learn and develop
Location: St Andrew’s Academy is located approximately 20 minutes’ drive from Derby Bus Station and Derby Train Station. 2 local bus services operate around the school site.
At our academy, each pupil can feel that they belong to a caring and supportive environment. The school/academy is committed to the safeguarding and wellbeing of students and expects all staff
to share this commitment. The successful candidate will be required to undergo appropriate child protection screening including a DBS check.
Please click on the following link to refer to SET Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy
Visits: We positively welcome visits to the school. Please use the school website as a first port of call to gain relevant information.
Applying for the job
Application Forms Please submit your CV for this role to firstname.lastname@example.orgDownload an application form - 82 KB
If you need these documents in an accessible format, please contact the school.
About St Andrew's Academy
- School type
- Academy, ages 11 to 19
- Education phase
- School size
- 118 pupils enrolled
- Age range
- 11 to 19
St Andrew's Academy is a unique school for children and young people aged 11 to 19, providing a high quality education to pupil's with special educational needs.
The Academy's highly skilled team of staff are committed to ensuring that all students enjoy their learning, take care of each other and work hard to achieve their targets.
The staff, students, their families, Governors and the whole community make St Andrew's Academy a very special place, recognising that together we can learn and achieve great things!
If you think your child would benefit from a St Andrew's education please do get in touch to arrange a visit.