Under the guidance and supervision of the class
teacher or line manager:
- In line with the school vision and
values: promote learning, equality, respect and independence.
- To enable access to learning for all pupils and assist the teacher in
the management of pupils and the classroom.
- To undertake learning, care or support programmes for individuals or
groups of pupils.
- To support programmes for
teaching communication, literacy and numeracy as well as to work with pupils on
their Individual Education plans, assisting pupils to access the full
- To help organise personalised
classroom activities, prepare resources and maintain the learning environment.
This will include mounting displays that reflect the work of the students.
- Monitor pupil progress and
contribute to future planning as part of a team. Maintain records and pupil
- Provide support for pupil’s emotional and
social development by encouraging and modelling positive behaviour in line
with the school’s vision and values, Behaviour Policy and individual
Positive Behaviour Support Plans/Risk Assessments.
- Ensure the physical welfare of pupils and
assist them with physical needs adhering to manual handling guidelines as
appropriate and agreed.
- Use skills and talents to lead
extra-curricular activities for small groups of students.
- Communicate and liaise with other members of
the school staff and the multi-disciplinary team to carry out therapy
programmes and ensure the most effective academic, emotional and social
provision. This may include taking part in hydro-therapy and swimming
- Supervise pupils in the playground and other
lunch time activities including organising/structuring appropriate play
time activities to promote self-occupation skills and independence.
- Supervise students from transport in the
morning and on again in the afternoon, relaying any messages from parents
or escorts to the relevant professional.
- Support pupils in any personal care programmes,
including dressing, feeding and toileting for those where this is
applicable. To clear up hygienically after any toileting or illness
- Administer medication or medical interventions
e.g. gastrostomy feeds, suctioning, oral medication (when mutually agreed
with the school nurse and after specific training by medically trained
staff – this will be carried out under their supervision until such time
as their competencies are signed off and the staff member themselves are
confident to carry them out).
- Attend outings with students and provide care
and learning activities in accordance with school policies and safety
guidelines, including reading and adhering to risk assessments.
- Support students during transitions in their
lives working with colleagues to support students through difficult times.
- Participate in policy review and in giving
feedback on documentation.
- Promote equal opportunities within the school
- Be responsible for promoting and safeguarding
the welfare of children.
- Maintain confidentiality in and outside the
- Undertake any other reasonable duties from
time to time as may be directed by the head teacher or his / her nominee.
If you're interested in teaching or training to teach in England as an international citizen, we can help you understand your next steps
Please complete the attached application form and email/post/hand deliver to Julie Harper, Office/HR Manager - email@example.com