Harris Academy Rainham is looking for a Teaching Assistant/Tutor to join our team.
Main Areas of Responsibility
Progress of Students (1:1 and small group)
- To deliver programmes of study to small groups of students (ideally between 1 and 3) in 1:1 setting
- To ensure all students identified for intervention are given every opportunity to meet their examination and / or progress targets
- To liaise with parents regarding the attendance, progress and attitude of designated students, reporting to the Head of Subject weekly
- Maintain records of students’ progress in relation to their examination targets;
- To complete the relevant marking and feedback for students that clearly identifies what they need to improve in order to meet their targets
- Use the Academy’s behaviour management strategies to contribute to creating a purposeful learning environment
Progress of students within whole class setting
- To highlight individual student’s learning needs to the class teacher and agree how he/she will be supported in each lesson
- Assist teacher in evaluating identified students’ progress through agreed assessment activities
- Support identified students to engage with the learning objectives set for the lesson
- Plan with teachers the role they will take in the lesson, preparing resources that meet the students’ needs and interests
- Under the direction of the Assistant Principal / Head of Department to undertake such other tasks that may be required to further the efficient running of the Academy, commensurate with the level of the post holder
- To assist other students in the class group as appropriate
- To act as reader or scribe as requested
Qualifications & Experience
Qualifications, Knowledge and Training
- Relevant qualifications that help demonstrate evidence at A Level or undergraduate degree (or equivalent) in English
- Excellent numeracy/literacy skills.
- Experience of working directly with young people in an education or training environment, supporting the learning of students.
- Experience of establishing and maintaining positive working relationships with a range of stakeholders, at all levels.
- Experience of managing and being responsible for own workload.
Personal Skills, Abilities & Qualities
- Good literacy and numeracy skills,
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, with an excellent standard of written and spoken English.
- Good administrative and organisational skills.
- Ability to interest, encourage, motivate and engage children
- Ability to work as part of a team; working effectively with people across a wide range of levels and responsibilities.
- Computer literate – must have good ICT skills including a working knowledge of MS packages e.g. Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel etc, as well as using and updating records and databases.
- Ability to work using own initiative, exercising good judgement where unsupervised.
- Flexibility of approach to work.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality; having tact and diplomacy where necessary.
If you have any questions about this opportunity, please contact us via e-mail, or call to arrange a conversation.
Before applying, please download the Job Pack for full details on the job responsibilities and person specification. You will need this when completing your application.
Please note: we may hold interviews as and when applications are received and we reserve the right to offer to a candidate prior to the closing date. We only accept applications submitted online via our careers website and which are completed before the closing deadline. With this in mind, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible and advise you check the job information as per the listing on our careers site.
Professional Development & Benefits
Our people are at the heart of our success. We have developed a strong culture of collaboration and best practice, with professional development and career planning at its centre. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of top-quality training programmes delivered at every level to senior leadership.We look for talented individuals who share our vision for creating exceptional places of learning, and are committed to ensuring that every child in London has access to the best possible education.In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes our Harris Allowance, a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme, a Wellbeing Cash Plan and many other benefits.
The Harris Federation and all our academies are committed to ensuring the highest levels of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and we expect all our staff and volunteers to share in this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, references, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants. Before applying, please review our Policy Statement on the Recruitment of Ex-Offenders.
The Harris Federation is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates.As a provider of employment and education, we value the diversity of our staff and students, and all our staff are equally valued and respected. We are committed to providing a fair, equitable and mutually supportive learning and working environment for our students and staff.