We are looking for an outstanding individual to join Harris Academy Bermondsey as Vice Principal.
The post of Vice Principal is one that mirrors the role of the Principal, and the academy will be supporting the successful candidate as they aspire to Principalship.
Main Areas of Responsibility
This will be negotiated with the individual candidate, but could involve:
- Lead on the quality of education across the academy, ensuring the curriculum provision at the academy remains exceptional and ambitious for all students.
- Oversee the strategic management of data, assessment and target setting (including reporting achievement data to governors and external bodies as required), working with the Principal to set challenging and aspirational whole academy targets.
- Lead on teaching, learning and assessment across the academy, providing the necessary Professional Learning opportunities to ensure the highest of standards are maintained in the classroom and in student outcomes.
- Lead on areas of compliance as agreed with the Principal
General Expectation of Academy Leadership Group
- Collaborate as a member of the academy Leadership Group to build and realise the shared vision of excellence and high standards for all students.
- Play a major role in determining strategy for the academy.
- Contributing actively towards the formulation of all academy policies and procedures and ensuring their consistent implementation throughout the school.
- Agreeing challenging subject targets, including student achievement targets, ensuring rigorous monitoring, evaluation and review of progress towards these through faculty improvement plans.
- Ensuring high quality teaching and learning in line managed faculties, following the academy policy for self-evaluation and review.
- Engage in the process of appointing new staff including the interview process.
- Participate in duties lunch/break/before and after school.
- Contributing to assemblies.
- Sharing in the management of student disciplinary incidents, making recommendations to the Principal regarding exclusions and facilitating the process of student re-integration.
- Actively participate in monitoring evaluation and review of teaching and learning in line managed faculties. Managing any capability or disciplinary procedures in line with academy policy, where appropriate.
- Undertake appropriate programme of teaching according to the duties of a standard scale teacher.
- Assist in the development of appropriate syllabuses, resources, schemes of work, marking policies and teaching strategies.
- Contribute to the academy Improvement Plan and its implementation.
- Attend all appropriate meetings.
- Plan and prepare courses and lessons in line with academy policy.
- Contribute to the whole academy's planning activities.
- Teach students according to their educational needs, including the setting and marking of work to be carried out by the students in the academy.
- Assess record and report on the attendance, progress, development and attainment of students and to keep such records as required.
- Provide, or contribute to, oral and written assessments, reports and references relating to individual students and groups of students.
- Ensure that ICT, Literacy, Numeracy and Enterprise are reflected in the teaching/learning experience of students.
- Undertake assessment of students as requested by external examination bodies, subject area and academy procedures.
Management of Resources
- Manage the available resources of space, staff, budget and equipment effectively within the policies and procedures of the academy.
- Work with the ALG to ensure that the subject areas teaching commitments are effectively and efficiently time-tabled and roomed.
- Ensure the academy health and safety policies and practices, including risk assessments, throughout the department are in line with national requirements and are updated where necessary.
Qualifications & Experience
Knowledge & Experience
- Graduate (with a good degree)
- Qualified Teacher
- Minimum of three years at senior leadership level, at least once as a deputy/ Vice Principal
- Experience of delivering high quality INSET to teaching staff
- Proven success in raising achievement as a subject leader across at least two key stages.
- Evidence of leading, supporting and managing others, both individuals and teams, ensuring high quality performance
- Successful experience of processes of monitoring, evaluation and review that provide performance data that can be used to improve the quality of teaching and learning
- Good level of ICT skills and experience of how new technologies can be used to raise achievement, including the use of interactive white boards
- Recent experience of involvement in innovative curriculum development
- Experience of presenting to a wide audience including teachers, managers, governors and parents
- Ideas of how Language, Literacy and Numeracy can be used across the curriculum to raise standards
- Experience of embedding innovative strategies for improving teaching and learning in a whole school situation
- Experience of managing and implementing change successfully at whole school level
- Experience of using coaching as a model for ensuring on going professional development particularly with subject leaders
- Enthusiasm for and commitment to the achievement of the academy's overall vision for success at all levels
- Willingness to work hard
- Enthusiastic and Exceptional teacher, with a proven track record of excellent results in public examinations.
- Flexible, adaptable, results orientated, able to prioritise; resilient under pressure
- Awareness of and commitment to equal opportunities and valuing diversity
- To command and demand respect from the school community
- A commitment to “personalising learning” for all students in the academy
- Creativity and enthusiasm to promote a positive school image to the local and national community
- The aspirations, talent and enthusiasm to become a Principal
Professional Development & Benefits
Our people are at the heart of our success. We have developed a strong culture of collaboration and best practice, with professional development and career planning at its centre. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of top-quality training programmes delivered at every level to senior leadership.We look for talented individuals who share our vision for creating exceptional places of learning, and are committed to ensuring that every child in London has access to the best possible education.In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes our Harris Allowance, a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme, a Wellbeing Cash Plan and many other benefits.
The Harris Federation and all our academies are committed to ensuring the highest levels of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and we expect all our staff and volunteers to share in this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, references, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants.Before applying, please review our Policy Statement on the Recruitment of Ex-Offenders.
The Harris Federation is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates.As a provider of employment and education, we value the diversity of our staff and students, and all our staff are equally valued and respected. We are committed to providing a fair, equitable and mutually supportive learning and working environment for our students and staff.
All applications must be made online via the apply link.
If you have any questions about this opportunity, please contact us via e-mail, or call to arrange a conversation.
Before applying, please download the Job Pack for full details on the job responsibilities and person specification. You will need this when completing your application.
Please note: we may hold interviews as and when applications are received and we reserve the right to offer to a candidate prior to the closing date. We only accept applications submitted online via our careers website and which are completed before the closing deadline. With this in mind, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible and advise you check the job information as per the listing on our careers site.