Birches Head Academy is seeking to recruit a dynamic and inspiring Vice Principal to join the school's Senior Leadership Team.
We are looking for a candidate who is ready to take their next step in leadership to become a Vice Principal. This is an exciting opportunity for an existing or aspiring senior leader with a track record of whole-school impact, who is able to demonstrate whole-school added value.
The Vice Principal will play a pivotal role as part of the Senior Leadership in delivering the aims and objectives of the Academy. The Vice Principal will support the Principal, Vice Principal, and Assistant Principals in the day to day running of the Academy. You will be responsible for contributing to the overall strategic leadership of Birches Head Academy, and for the overall physical and emotional welfare of the Academy's pupils.
This is an excellent opportunity for an ambitious individual to champion our Academy’s development, by joining us on our journey and helping to ensure our students receive a world-class education.
We are a part of the Frank Field Education Trust and work collaboratively with others in our FFET family, allowing our students and staff many opportunities to develop themselves. This is embodied in the FFET vision: ‘Social Justice through Excellence in Education’ and in the Academy’s vision to provide world class education to all our students.
We welcome applications from all parts of our community as we aspire to have a staff body that matches the social and cultural diversity of our student intake.
Closing date for applications: Wednesday 21 February 2024, 9.30am
Interviews to be held: Monday 26 / Tuesday 27 February 2024
For further information, including a job description, person specification and application form, please visit:https://www.ffet.co.uk/join-our-team
Completed application forms should be emailed email@example.com
Birches Head Academy requires an application form to be completed in order to be considered for this role. Please note that CVs alone will not be accepted.
Birches Head Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and
young people. Applicants will, therefore, be subject to stringent vetting and induction processes, including an enhanced DBS disclosure. References will be requested prior to interview.
All applicants will be considered on the basis of suitability for the post regardless of age, sex, race or disability.
- Collaborative Working with the FFET
Strong Purpose & Culture
Staff Development & Well-being
New Ideas & Innovation
Employee Assistant Programme
Electric Car Scheme Salary Sacrifice
Job Title: Vice Principal (Pastoral)
Reporting to: Principal
Responsible for: Assistant Principal(s) & Designated Middle Leaders
• To contribute to the overall leadership of Birches Head Academy, taking a leading role
within the Senior Leadership Team.
• To take responsibility for the strategic leadership of driving up standards at the academy,
ensuring an outstanding provision and outcome for every student.
• Supervise the line management and review of staff, identified by the Principal, including all
those for whom the post-holder is the SLT link.
This list is not meant to provide a narrow definition of specific responsibilities but to serve as
• Develop and communicate a clear vision and strategy for the academy.
• Lead the drive for improvement in your designated area.
• Working with the Principal and other Vice Principal/ Assistant Principals to lead, manage, co-ordinate and evaluate whole academy monitoring, evaluation and review to ensure the highest
standards of teaching and learning, attainment, progress and behaviour.
• Oversee the process of drawing together priorities for development from external reports, self-evaluation and performance management into an effective plan for training and development.
• Be the strategic lead for whole academy area as designated by the Principal.
• Create and maintain an agenda of aspiration and achievement for the academy, working with staff
to do so.
• Contribute to the development and review of all strategic plans and policies within the academy.
• Provide a consistent team approach to routine and behaviour/ethos matters.
• Leadership of effective external relationships with the community and other stakeholders.
• To uphold the academy’s policies in respect of Safeguarding and Child Protection and ensure the safety
and performing of all learners. Strategic Management
• In consultation with staff and governors create and maintain the ethos,
vision and aims of the academy including the drafting of relevant
• Ensuring that academy systems and accountabilities are delivered
according to the key principles of simplicity, efficiency and effectiveness.
• Planning and delivering academy policy in key areas.
• Advising and reporting to the Governing Body and Trust Board as
• Working in accordance with statutory policy.
• Liaising with officers, inspectors and other outside agencies.
• Developing relationships between the academy and its local community.
• Contributing to the process and completion of any self-evaluation processes.
• Being accountable for the delivery of key strategic objectives as determined
in negotiation with the Principal and the Senior leadership Team as a whole.
Leadership and Management of People
• Deputising for the Principal as required.
• Providing an approachable, authoritative and visible presence in and around
the academy to provide support for staff, students, parents and the local
• Developing a strong sense of teamwork and common purpose among staff.
• Carrying out performance management of key leaders and managers.
• Performing other duties determined in discussion with the Principal.
• Training, coaching, supporting and directing staff as required to ensure a positive,
professional and achievement focused ethos is maintained.
• Developing a shared expectation of outstanding teaching and learning.
• Creating and supporting an aspirational and innovative culture of learning in the
• Developing Middle Leadership and ensuring the impact of Middle Leaders upon
pupil progress and attainment.
• Creating a climate of reflective practice and professional development that enables
all members of staff to flourish and achieve their very best.
JOB DESCRIPTION: Vice Principal (Pastoral)
• To ensure that the vision and ethos of Birches Head Academy is
understood and valued by all staff and pupils through informed and
• To lead and support staff and pupils to achieve continued high performance
at all levels.
• To develop excellent working relationships with colleagues internally,
centrally and externally.
• To be an effective and flexible member of the team, contributing to the
successful adherence to Safeguarding Policy.
• To uphold the academy policies and procedures at all times.
• To ensure any documentation produced is to a high standard and is in line
with the academy/Trust corporate style.
• Be aware and comply with policies and procedures relating to Safeguarding,
child protection, health, safety and security, confidentiality and data protection,
reporting all concerns to the appropriate person.
• Participate in training and other learning activities as required.
• Participate in the academy’s Performance Management process.
• Provide appropriate guidance and supervision and assist in the training and
development of staff as appropriate.
• To promote the area of responsibility within the academy and beyond.
• To represent the academy at events as appropriate.
• To support and promote the academy ethos.
• To undertake any other duties and responsibilities as required that are covered by
the general scope of the post.
The information contained above is to help staff understand and appreciate the work
content of their post and the role they are to play in the organisation. However, it
should be noted that whilst every effort has been made to outline all the duties and
responsibilities of the post, a document such as this does not permit every item to be
specified in detail. Broad headings may therefore have been used, in which case all the
usual associated duties are included in this job description.
This job post has expired.