|Job role||Suitable for NQTs|
|Subjects||English, English, Media studies|
|Working pattern||Full-time only|
|Salary||Main pay range 1 to Upper pay range 3, £25,000 to £47,000|
Job Description – Teacher
Purpose: To ensure the greatest possible progress and development of students, through high quality teaching and learning, and appropriate pastoral support. To challenge and support all students to achieve their best by:
• Setting consistently high expectations and standards
• Sharing a love of your subject and of learning
• Enthusing, engaging and motivating students
• Inspiring trust and confidence in students and colleagues
• To maintain thorough and up to date subject knowledge and pedagogy
• To plan lessons and sequences of lessons and to support students in meeting their personal and academic potential
• To use a range of effective strategies for teaching and for behaviour management, as detailed in the school’s Learning Policy and Behaviour Policy
• To ensure the effective deployment of classroom support where appropriate
• To use and analyse performance data including prior learning data, progress data and external examination data when planning lessons, and in order to establish and set expectations, targets and action plans for individuals and groups of students
• To assess, monitor and record progress of students in teaching and tutorial groups
• To set home learning regularly and in accordance with the school’s Homework, Marking and Assessment Policy
• To mark work regularly, provide appropriate feedback, and ensure this feedback is acted upon, in accordance with the school’s Homework, Marking and Assessment Policy
• To communicate students’ progress with parents and carers
• To take part in marketing and liaison activities, such as Open Evenings, Parents’ Evenings, Options Evenings and Celebration Events
• To engage actively in your own Performance Management and to take responsibility for your own Professional Development within the context of the school’s Performance Management and Professional Development policies
• To be a team player within your department and house, contributing to department meetings, improvement plans and self evaluation processes.
• To contribute and where appropriate to lead on departmental learning plans including Schemes of Learning or Schemes of Work
• To work with, learn from, and support departmental and House colleagues
• To cooperate with colleagues to ensure a sharing and effective use of resources and to inform the process of ordering and allocation of equipment and materials
• To alert relevant staff to problems experienced by students and to work with those staff to implement solutions
• Where appropriate, to assume pastoral responsibility either for a mixed age Key Stage 3 and 4 tutor group or a Sixth Form tutor group, as part of the school’s house system
• As a form tutor, to produce appropriate reports and otherwise liaise with parents as required
• To be aware of and assume the appropriate level of responsibility for safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and to report any concerns in accordance with the school’s Child Protection policy
• To comply with the school’s Health and Safety Policy
• To undertake any other duties not mentioned above, commensurate with the level of the post
Furze Platt Senior School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Job Description - 2nd in English
You will help lead the development of Teaching and Learning across the Department to build on the success already achieved, demonstrating innovative approaches to learning and teaching, challenging the most able and have a collaborative approach at the core of your practice. The successful applicant will have excellent communication skills and leadership potential and they will use these skills to support the department’s ongoing journey to becoming exceptional.
You must be able to teach English to KS3 and KS4 and be willing to make an active contribution to our extra-curricular activities programme. An interest in teaching A-Level English Literature or Media Studies is strongly desirable.
We are looking for a highly motivated individual who:
• Believes in young people
• Is dynamic, innovative and inspirational in the classroom
• Is passionate about English and is keen to improve standards across all year groups
• Ensures all students succeed and are able to achieve their maximum potential
• Has the ability to teach outstanding lessons across the age range
• Is committed to raising standards of attainment and developing the success of the faculty
• Enjoys working as part of a team
• Sets high expectations of themselves and their students.
As Key Stage 3 Leader, your responsibilities will include:
• To develop, and support the team, in the delivery of the KS3 curriculum
• To oversee the recording and monitoring of KS3 progress
• To improve the performance of targeted KS3 students through well planned intervention
• To contribute to the development of enrichment opportunities for years 7-11
• To deputise for the Head of Department in their absence
Essential educational requirements
Undergraduate degree in relevant subject
Qualified Teacher Status
Right to work in UK essential
Essential skills and experience
Experience of teaching required.
Are you passionate about teaching English and Media? Would you like to join and lead a team of dedicated and reflective practitioners whose aim is to help students of all abilities develop the skills and qualities which will allow them to excel in the future?
Furze Platt is a highly successful mixed comprehensive school serving the children of Maidenhead. 1263 boys and girls of all abilities thrive at our school. We are a highly ambitious, high-achieving and fully inclusive school providing an outstanding education for all. We want our students to enjoy the time they spend with us by providing an education which is broad, stimulating and rewarding. We are also proud of the range of extra-curricular opportunities we provide for students outside of the classroom.
We are currently recruiting a Second in English and Media to join our successful and expanding school.
We can offer you:-
• the harmonious and friendly atmosphere which exists on our campus
• the opportunity to join a happy and successful school which has been rated as one of the country’s highest achieving comprehensive schools by the SSAT, with excellent exam results and whose Progress 8 score is in the top 24% of schools nationally.
• fantastic support from your line manager and a Senior Leadership Team who genuinely want to see you succeed and develop here at Furze Platt.
• career opportunities allowing you to grow professionally within Furze Platt including working parties and coaching for experienced teachers and leadership training for aspiring and existing middle and senior leaders.
• the chance to teach English and Media in our Sixth Form which has 250 students
• excellent on-site facilities
• access to a newly installed gym
• your own laptop, student laptops and interactive whiteboards
• access to an employee advice service which provides information, helpful resources and other services.
• freshly brewed coffee during break-time
• invitations to whole school social events and gatherings to celebrate success
The successful candidate will:
• have excellent subject knowledge and a passion for teaching and leading on a subject which consistently achieves outstanding exam results both at GCSE and A Level
• be a capable and ambitious teacher who can demonstrate a passion for teaching and strong interpersonal skills
• be an outstanding teacher who is ready to take on responsibility within the English and Media department as the position is excellent preparation for securing a Head of English and Media role within two to three years
• be joining us at an exciting time as we embark on an on-site expansion project in 2018
Interested applicants are welcome to talk to Mrs Debbie Harding, HR Manager firstname.lastname@example.org about this post, or to visit the school. To learn more about our school please refer to our website www.furzeplatt.com .
Furze Platt Senior School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and we expect all staff to share this commitment. This post is subject to an enhanced disclosure via the Disclosure and Barring Service.More on how to apply
|School size||1348 pupils enrolled|
|Age range||11 to 18|
|Ofsted report||View Ofsted report|
|School website||Furze Platt Senior School website (opens in a new window)|
About Furze Platt Senior School
Furze Platt Road, Maidenhead, Berkshire, SL6 7NQ