Caretaker (40h per week - Split shift (7.00am -12.00am & 1.00pm - 4.00pm) – 5 days per week)
Davidson Primary Academy, Croydon, Surrey
|Working pattern||Full-time only|
|Salary||£23,064 to £23,064|
• Be the first keyholder for the site
• As required, open and secure the premises to suit the school day and any letting
• Ensure that all locks and catches are in good working order
• Carry out procedures in the event of fire, flood, breaking and entering etc.
• Prevent trespass, challenge the identity of unknown persons and where necessary contact the Police to assist
• Report breaches of security during school hours and out of school hours to your Line Manager/Principal
• Prevent unauthorised parking of vehicles
• As a registered key holder, be required to attend emergency call outs out of normal Academy hours
• Carry out fire and safety precaution procedures in accordance with the Academy's instructions.
• Set intruder alarm systems and reporting any defects in those systems immediately to your line manager
• Ensure security, certification and safe storage of deliveries to the Academy
• Ensure valuable items of equipment left unsecured during the school holidays, weekends etc are placed in a secure room
• Ensure that the premises and furnishings are cleaned in accordance with the Academy's standards and methods
• Carry out normal day-to-day supervisory duties of the Academy’s internal and external cleaning contractors work i.e., overseeing cleaning contractor’s work is done promptly and correctly
• Carry out specific cleaning duties in respect of spillages (including bodily fluids) in the absence of the Academy’s contracted cleaners
• Ensure that the Academy site is tidy and free from litter
• Ensure cleanliness of the grounds and maintenance of the site and premises
• Undertake the regular cleaning of drains, gullies and grease traps
• Provide safe access to the premises by clearing paths and using salt during freezing winter weather
• Assist as an individual and/or member of a team the cleaning of designated areas within the Academy premises as directed by the Line Manager to ensure that they meet expectedstandards of cleanliness
• Operate the heating plant in order that the required temperatures are maintained and that an adequate supply of hot water is available
• Carry out routine procedures on ancillary equipment, i.e., checking circulating pumps, fuses, time clocks etc. and the settings of automatic controls
• Ensure that adequate precautions are taken to prevent frost damage
• Keep boiler areas and adjacent areas free from litter and combustible materials
• Ensure that energy for heating and lighting is used efficiently, in compliance with energy conservation. Submit weekly meter readings of consumption to the Finance Officer
• Ensure that all fire exits and accessible escape routes are free from obstruction both inside and outside buildings
• Have knowledge of the use and maintenance of fire equipment, identify existing and potential hazards and eliminate as much as possible
• Be responsible for carrying out periodic (termly) fire drills and recording accordingly
• Be responsible for checking the Fire Alarm, Intruder Alarm & Security (CCTV) systems,Emergency Lighting, and record accordingly in accordance with the Academy’s recommended inspection/test maintenance frequency
• Carry out regular inspections of hand held fire fighting equipment and report missing or used appliances
• Take delivery of stores, materials and other goods and distribute them to their points of use
• Move and set out of furniture and equipment as required
• Carry out minor or temporary repairs to furniture and fabric of the buildings that are within
• Report repairs or maintenance beyond his/her capabilities to the Trust Facilities Manager
• Direct workmen and contractors to the sites of repair and maintenance work
• Ensure all contractors permit to work, method statements, insurance certificates are in place before works commence
• Ensure that mechanical cleaning aids and access equipment are in a safe working condition by regular inspection
• If required, carry out annual PAT electrical inspections, once trained to do so
• To take and record monthly readings of utilities; gas, electricity and water and forward to Finance Officer Lettings
• Ensure that, prior to lettings, the premises are in a satisfactory state and required furniture and equipment are in place
• Be in attendance during the whole of a letting and as required carry out security patrols and secure the premises upon vacation by the hirer
• Reinstate the area hired once the hirer has left the premises
• Attend pre-booked lettings in the evenings and some weekends in accordance with the Academy’s practices and procedures
• Carry out the day-to-day instructions and requirements of the Principal and or Facilities Manager
• Establish a reporting system to ensure any member of staff can notify the caretaker of any defects they observe so that these items/works can be dealt with promptly
• Inspection of premises and the identification of those areas, which require attention either in the short or long term
• Order cleaning materials and equipment and be responsible for their economical use
• Report any accidents on site
• Carry out safe working practices in accordance with the Academy/Trust policies
• Monitor work by contractors on site
• Co-ordinate working time/holidays with the Trust Facilities Manager to ensure that the Academy has adequate cover at all times
• Meet with the Trust’s Facilities Manager once a week with a brief report on what has been achieved and priorities for future work
Health & Safety
• Carry out monthly health & safety risk assessment/maintenance & facilities checks with the Facilities Manager or external H&S Advisor
• Ensure that all relevant Health & Safety guidelines are observed, and that immediate action is taken where possible to avoid injury or damage. Inform the Facilities Manager/Principal of any defects or actions which may place at risk, staff, pupils or visitors to the school’s premises
• Attend meetings and participate in training as required
Essential educational requirements
For more information and to apply for this position please download an Applicant Pack (containing full Job Description),
and an Application Form from either Davidson Primary Academy Website www.davidsonprimary.com
or via the Chancery Education Trust website http://www.chanceryeducation.com/vacancies/
or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Qualification and Experience Evidence
• NVQ 1 & 2 in Cleaning and Support Services or equivalent
• BICS qualifications or equivalent in relevant discipline or experience.
• Caretaking experience.
Essential skills and experience
• Ability to use relevant equipment, materials and chemicals.
• General knowledge of DIY and unskilled maintenance.
• Ability to communicate with a wide range of people.
• Able to manage a range of tasks, organise and prioritise effectively.
• Be able to work as both part of a team and as a lone worker.
• Be self-motivated.
• Have a full driving licence.
• A knowledge of Health & Safety including the use of chemicals
COSHH, Manual handling, Fire Safety, including drills, use of
equipment, practices and procedures, use of ladders, lifting,
• Knowledge of routine maintenance relating to building and
• Understanding of and compliance with child protection procedures
and lone working.
• Knowledge and understanding of the security and tenure of
• Knowledge of industrial cleaning and use of appropriate equipment,
chemicals and materials.
For more information and to apply for this position please download an Applicant Pack (containing full Job Description), and an Application Form from either Davidson Primary Academy Website www.davidsonprimary.com or via the Chancery Education Trust website http://www.chanceryeducation.com/vacancies/
or email email@example.com
|School size||218 pupils enrolled|
|Age range||4 to 11|
|Ofsted report||View Ofsted report|
|School website||Davidson Primary Academy website (opens in a new window)|
About Davidson Primary Academy
Dartnell Road, Croydon, Surrey, CR0 6JA