MPS/UQT Scale depending on qualifications (Outer London) + £1,500 Harris Allowance
We are looking for a committed and experienced individual to join our team as Deputy SENCO.
QTS is desirable for this role, but not essential.
The purpose of your role will be:
Advance your career within the Federation's supportive academy environment established in developing practitioners and nurturing excellent future leaders. With unrivalled opportunities for progression, we can provide bespoke courses and qualifications to match your aspirations, whether that be as a teacher, middle or senior leader. Our Teaching School Alliance can equip you with the right experience, knowledge and training you need to succeed.
- To establish outstanding provision within SEND
- To oversee a coordinated approach to SEND across the academy
- To be accountable for student progress and development in line with allocated responsibilities, for example, interventions and/or a subject focus.
- To ensure high standards of teaching and learning through continuously, developing and enhancing the quality of SEND support, both inside and outside the classroom.
- To support subject leaders in ensuring that curriculum for the subject is well planned, logically sequenced and ensures students who have SEND to build up a deliberate body of knowledge and skills over time
- To ensure that all SEND policies and procedures are implemented and applied consistently by colleagues
- To effectively and efficiently manage and deploy support staff, financial and physical resources that fit the SEND remit
- To ensure that all students who have SEND develop in confidence, independence and readiness for their next steps.
What we are looking for
We look for talented individuals who want to be a part of transforming education in London, and helping create exceptional places of learning. The successful candidate will have:
Please download the job pack for a full job description and person specification.
- An undergraduate degree and, ideally, Qualified Teacher Status (or equivalent)
- At least one year’s teaching experience
- Understanding of theory and practice of effective teaching and learning Thorough knowledge of national curriculum requirements at KS3 and KS4
- Successful experience of meeting SEND needs, for example leading on intervention
- Suitable level of ICT skills and experience of how new technologies can be used to raise achievement, including the use of interactive white boards
- Recent experience of involvement in innovative curriculum development
- Ideas of how Language, Literacy and Numeracy can be used across the curriculum to raise standards
- Experience of embedding innovative strategies for improving teaching and learning
Being a part of the Harris Federation
We are recognised as the top performing large multi-academy trust in England for primary and secondary education. Closing the gap between young people from disadvantaged backgrounds and their peers has always been a core mission of Harris. Holding a reputation for bringing transformative approaches to education, we hold a unrivalled track record in achieving success through rapid school improvement.
Our people are at the heart of this success. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of training programmes available at every stage of your career.
We look for talented individuals who share our vision for creating exceptional places of learning, and are committed to ensuring that every child in London has access to the best possible education.
Learn more About Harris and our Vision and Values
The Harris Federation and all our academies are committed to ensuring the highest levels of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and we expect all our staff and volunteers to share in this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, references, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants.
Read our Statement on the Recruitment of Ex-Offenders
Diversity and Equality
We are committed to equality and to valuing diversity as an employer and a provider of education.
Read our Diversity and Equality Notice
In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package. Please visit the Harris careers website for more information.
Applying for the job
Please download the Job Pack via the link for full details on the job responsibilities and person specification. You will need this when completing your online application.
If you have any questions about this opportunity, please contact us via e-mail, or call to arrange a conversation.
Please note: we may hold interviews as and when applications are received, and this job may be withdrawn without notice. Applications will only be considered if submitted online and before the closing deadline. With this in mind, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible.More on how to apply (opens in new tab)
Academy, ages 11 to 18
1174 pupils enrolled
11 to 18
About Harris Academy Beckenham
About Harris Academy Beckenham:
Since opening in 2011, Harris Academy Beckenham has gone from strength to strength. We have been oversubscribed for the last three years, rapidly becoming the school of choice in the local area. Our GCSE and A Level results have improved each year, with our English and Maths combined score in 2016 reaching an outstanding 80% A*-C. Our ambition and aspiration will ensure that we continue to focus on the success of all of our students, irrespective of background. Since converting, results have dramatically improved and we secured a judgment of ‘Outstanding’ from Ofsted in 2017.
Why work at Harris Academy Beckenham?
‘The school’s culture of aspiration and ambition is clearly demonstrated in classes. Teachers are aspirational for their pupils and set high expectations for them. Pupils respond positively. They are determined to do their best and are confident about meeting ambitious targets set by their teachers.’ (OFSTED 2017)
We invest in training and resources for our staff to help them make lessons fun, interesting and engaging. Class sizes are kept as small as possible and we place a firm emphasis on good behaviour so that students can learn in a calm and orderly environment.
It is our ethos of "Aspire, Discover, Achieve" that was recognised and praised in our recent inspection, and which contributed to Harris Academy Beckenham being judged as ‘outstanding’ in every category. In addition, the outstanding progress made by our students, placing us as the most successful school in Bromley (Progress 8 2016), vastly impressed the inspectors.
We have a harmonious community with excellent relationships between students and staff, and our students have a focused and mature attitude towards their academic studies.