English Teacher: Leader of Whole-School Literacy and Reading
This job expired on 21 February 2023 – see similar jobs
Start date details
21 February 2023 at 12pm (midday)
2 February 2023
- Key stage 3, Key stage 4, Key stage 5
- View all Englishjobs
- View all Full timejobs - Full time
- Inner London Pay Scale, MPS/UPS + TLR 2B £4,863
Inner London Pay Scale, MPS/UPS + TLR 2B £4,863
What skills and experience we're looking for
We are looking to appoint a motivated and inspirational Teacher of English to take a strategic responsibility for the leadership of whole school literacy and reading.You will join our Outstanding English department with long history of outstanding outcomes at KS4 and KS5.
You will work with the senior leaders responsible for teaching, curriculum and the SENDCo to ensure their work provides targeted literacy support for all learners, provides staff with up to date training on all strands of literacy and ensure a passion for reading is at the heart of our school.
- Strategically lead the school improvement plan on whole school literacy and reading.
- Work alongside curriculum leaders to ensure literacy is taught in all subjects.
- Provide training to develop disciplinary literacy.
- Coordinate the assessment of reading age across the school.
- Analyse and evaluate reading age data, ensuring intervention is in place to support pupils at various stages of reading.
- Coordinate tutor time reading programme.
- Develop whole school strategies to support pupils with most significant literacy barriers.
- Plan, implement and monitor the teaching of targeted literacy interventions. Train staff to ensure target literacy intervention addresses the specific needs of our school community.
- Oversight of the Thinking Reading and Bedrock Vocabulary Programme.
- Plan, implement and monitor a range of strategies to promote a love of reading across the school community.
- Deliver reading sessions to pupils across the school that focus on reading for pleasure.
- Plan, implement and monitor a peer reading strategy across the school.
- Create opportunities for staff and pupils to read together for pleasure.
- Use quality assurance methods to ensure all work associated with the role has the desired impact.
What the school offers its staff
This post offers you the opportunity to develop your teaching within an outstanding setting.We offer a highly supportive environment and are committed to ensuring outstanding teaching, behaviour and achievement.
With our expanding Sixth Form and our desire and drive to continue moving forward, this is an exciting time for you to join our team.
Benefits of working at St Thomas the Apostle:
- New modern, light and airy building
- Outstanding facilities
- Excellent student behaviour freeing up teachers to teach for the duration of each lesson
- Support for training and development
- Commitment to staff wellbeing including annual staff wellbeing day
- Excellent public transport links
- Free onsite parking
- Safe and secure cycle storage
- Free use of the school gym
- Free use of the school swimming pool
- Free lunches for staff
- Pastries on a Friday morning
- Childcare voucher scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Regular staff social events
Commitment to safeguarding
About The St Thomas the Apostle College
- School type
- Local authority maintained school, Roman Catholic, ages 11 to 18
- Education phase
- View all Secondaryjobs
- School size
- 1069 pupils enrolled
- Age range
- 11 to 18
- Ofsted report
- View Ofsted report (opens in new tab)
- Email address
St Thomas the Apostle school is a 11-18 Catholic boys’ school with a co-educational Sixth Form in South London. We are an outstanding school and 2017 TES Secondary School of the Year winners. We pride ourselves on our high expectations of all learners. This creates a calm learning environment where teachers can teach and students can learn.
Similar jobs nearby
English Teacher with KS3 Coordinator Responsibility
Ark Bolingbroke Academy
Wakehurst Road, London, SW11 6BF
English - Deputy Faculty Leader
The Ongar Academy
Ongar, Essex, CM5 0AN
Avanti House School
Wemborough Road, Stanmore, Middlesex, HA7 2EQ
Second in charge of English Learning Area
Mossbourne Community Academy
100 Downs Park Road, London, E5 8JY
Get a job alert when similar jobs are listed
Find more school jobs in London