The John of Gaunt School, Trowbridge, Wiltshire
|Job role||Suitable for NQTs|
|Subjects||English Language, English Literature|
|Working pattern||Full-time only|
|Salary||Main pay range 1 to Upper pay range 3, £24,373 to £40,490|
Teach English across the age and ability range
Teaching & Learning:
• To manage student learning through effective teaching in accordance with subject schemes of work and policies.
• To embrace whole school initiatives, including TEEP and its relevant strands.
• To teach across the full age and ability range, as required.
• To deliver small group intervention sessions, as required.
• To plan differentiated lessons, which meet the needs of all abilities, including those with SEN and most able students.
• To set homework regularly in accordance with the school’s policy.
• To encourage independent learning.
• To promote learner self-esteem and a positive academic self-concept.
• To work effectively as a member of the subject team to improve the quality of teaching and learning.
• To deepen learner knowledge and understanding and to maximise their achievement.
• To use positive behaviour management techniques based on mutual respect and recognising that every child matters.
Monitoring, Assessment, Recording, Reporting and Accountability
• To ensure all students receive regular, effective feedback on their work which promotes learning.
• To be immediately responsible for learner tracking, recording and reporting.
• To work with the Individual Learning Department (SEN) where necessary eg to effectively use IEPs to match curriculum materials and approaches to meeting learner needs.
• To assess learners’ work and use findings to inform future planning, teaching and subject development.
• To produce informative, helpful and accurate reports to parents.
• To plan lessons and keep an accurate record of learner progress.
Essential educational requirements
DfES recognised Qualified Teacher Status
Graduate in a relevant subject
Essential skills and experience
• Successful teaching experience at secondary level
• Contribution to effective curriculum planning
• An excellent classroom practitioner
• Evidence of delivering effective lessons which lead to at least ‘good’ progress
• Good level of ICT skills
• The ability to inspire, develop and motivate students and raise their aspirations through a range of strategies eg assessment for learning
• Clear and effective communication in both writing and speaking
• Ability to manage young people effectively
• Excellent organisation and management of resources
• Ability to set targets for students in order to raise achievement
• Ability to form and maintain appropriate relationships and personal boundaries with young people
• Ability to engage effectively with parents to support learning
• Ability to converse at ease in accurate spoken English
|School size||1067 pupils enrolled|
|Age range||11 to 18|
|Ofsted report||View Ofsted report|
|Website||The John of Gaunt School website (opens in a new window)|
Wingfield Road, Trowbridge, Wiltshire, BA14 9EH