Head of Computing
6 days remaining to apply
Start date details
27 March 2023 at 11:59pm
3 February 2023
- Key stage 3, Key stage 4, Key stage 5
- View all Computingjobs
- View all Full timejobs - Directed
- MPS (Inner London) + £2,000 Harris Allowance + TLR 1
Performance and Loyalty Bonus + Pension Scheme (TPS) + Harris Wellbeing Cash Plan + Additional Harris Benefits
What skills and experience we're looking for
Are you a passionate computer scientist looking to lead a department at a successful academy? We are looking for a qualified, knowledgeable, and enthusiastic teacher to join Harris Academy St John's Wood as Head of Computing.
We would be interested in hearing from Computer Science teachers wanting to become middle leaders, or those who are currently HODs and are looking for their next step forwards. Both would be well supported inside and outside of the department.
Our main programming language is Python, although specialism in another language is not a barrier to application. We would be especially interested in hearing from those with A Level teaching experience or those with the knowledge or commitment to teach some of the A Level lessons.
The successful candidate will:
- Hold QTS (or equivalent) and a relevant undergraduate degree, and, ideally, management training
- Demonstrate successful teaching of GCSE at good or better level
- Have experience of initiation and effective management of change
- Show evidence of raising achievement in present post and showing good value added for groups
- Have knowledge of current curriculum developments in subject and their implications
- Have good knowledge and understanding of current educational thinking
- Show good understanding of how children learn and how to raise standards of achievement
- Have good communication skills in speech and writing
- Display excellent organisational skills
- Be able to build and sustain professional standards and relationships with students
- Be able to contribute towards creating a safe and protective environment
What the school offers its staff
The Head of Computing will lead a supportive and well-resourced department of 4, that together teach all year groups (Years 7 through to 13). At KS3, Computing is mandatory and all pupils study it for one hour a week. At KS4, starting in Year 10, the Department of Computing offers OCR GCSE Computer Science and OCR Cambridge Nationals Creative iMedia, with a growing and enthusiastic uptake. At KS5 we offer OCR A Level Computer Science and OCR Cambridge Technicals IT, with one class for each qualification. To teach these groups, the department benefits from 3 full size dedicated computer suites with new computers which were installed in late 2022.
We hope that this website gives you a sense of the opportunities on offer here. Please feel free to contact us if there is any further information that we can provide.
The core values and vision for the academy will be centred on dedication, determination and destiny. When students are dedicated to their studies and determined to succeed, all will achieve their destiny.
Our people are at the heart of our success. We have developed a strong culture of collaboration and best practice, with professional development and career planning at its centre. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of top-quality training programmes delivered at every level to senior leadership.We look for talented individuals who share our vision for creating exceptional places of learning, and are committed to ensuring that every child in London has access to the best possible education.In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes our Harris Allowance for teachers on MPS/UPS, a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme, electric car scheme, a Wellbeing Cash Plan and many other benefits.
Further details about the role
The purpose of your role will be:
- To be accountable for leading, managing and developing the subject area.
- To raise standards of student attainment and achievement within the whole subject/curriculum area and to monitor and support student progress.
- To ensure the provision of an appropriately broad, balanced, relevant and differentiated curriculum for students studying in the department, in accordance with the aims of the academy and the curricular policies determined by the Governing Body and Principal.
- To teach the relevant subject across the age and ability range.
- To facilitate and encourage a learning experience which provides students with the opportunity to achieve their individual potential.
- To effectively manage and deploy staff, financial and physical resources within the department.
- To share and support the school's responsibility to provide and monitor opportunities for personal and academic growth.
Your main areas of responsibility will fall under the areas of:
- Operational and strategic planning (including formulating the subject and faculty improvement plans, and leading the development of appropriate syllabuses, resources, schemes of work, marking policies, assessment and teaching strategies)
- Ensuring the delivery of an appropriate, comprehensive, high quality and cost effective curriculum and leading development of the subject and its delivery
- Staff development (including recruiting, building and managing an effective team of motivated staff)
- Student outcomes (including ensuring the effective operation of target setting, monitoring and evaluation systems and the input and maintenance of accurate student data)
- Pastoral system (including being a form tutor to a selected group of students)
- Teaching, including acting as an outstanding role model
Commitment to safeguarding
Applying for the job
Apply for the job by following the link belowMore on how to apply (opens in new tab)
About Harris Academy St John's Wood
- School type
- Academy, ages 11 to 18
- Education phase
- View all Secondaryjobs
- School size
- 1372 pupils enrolled
- Age range
- 11 to 18
- Ofsted report
- View Ofsted report (opens in new tab)
- School website
- Harris Academy St John's Wood website (opens in new tab)
- Email address
- Phone number
- 020 7722 8141
Harris Academy St John’s Wood is an 11-18 secondary academy located in St John's Wood, central London, and serves an urban, highly multi-ethnic and disadvantaged intake. The academy joined the Harris Federation as a sponsored academy in 2017 and is on an exciting journey to achieve Outstanding in all areas within two years. The academy has new direction with the values of Dedication, Determination and Destiny. If you want to make a real difference to needy young people, and be supported to do so through great training and development as well as unrivalled progression opportunities, then joining this Harris academy could be for you.
Similar jobs nearby
Head of Faculty - Business, Economics and Computer Science
The Langley Academy
Langley Road, Slough, Berkshire, SL3 7EF
Curriculum Leader: IT and Computing
Lemsford Lane, Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire, AL8 6YR
Heartlands High School
Station Road, London, N22 7ST
Woolwich Polytechnic School
Hutchins Road, London, SE28 8AT
Get a job alert when similar jobs are listed
Find more school jobs in London