Head of Department for Science
• To raise standards of pupil attainment and achievement within the whole school curriculum area and to monitor and support pupil progress
• To be accountable for pupil progress and development within the subject area
• To develop and enhance the teaching practice of others
• To ensure the provision of an appropriately broad, balanced, relevant and differentiated curriculum for pupils studying in the department, in accordance with the aims of the Academy and the curricular policies determined by the Governing Body and Principal
• To be accountable for leading, managing and developing the subject/curriculum area
• To manage and deploy teaching/support staff, financial and physical resources within the department effectively to support the department development plan
• Liaising with the Principal, Vice Principals, Assistant Principals, other Heads of Department and Heads of Faculty, Pupil Support Services and relevant staff with cross-Academy responsibilities, relevant non-teaching support staff, Foundation staff and parents
• To keep abreast of current developments within the subject/s and to strategically lead the faculty development.
• To support the development of staff and student outcomes through delivering of quality CPD within the faculty.
Essential educational requirements
Evidence of self-development and commitment to continuing professional development.
• Qualified Teacher status or evidence of working towards QTS
• Degree or equivalent
Essential skills and experience
Experience of successful teaching and leadership at Key Stage 3, 4 and 5
Can demonstrate effective leadership to enable the individual needs of all students to be met through the use of appropriate learning strategies and classroom management
Has knowledge and understanding of leading the selection of curriculum syllabus across several subject areas and key stages
Has knowledge and understanding of leading the monitoring, assessment, recording and reporting of pupils’ progress across several subject areas
Understands the importance of developing positive links and relationships within school and with all its stakeholders
A wide ranging and detailed understanding of leading teaching and learning, innovative curricular and raising achievement strategies
The academy became part of Love Learning Trust in April 2019. The trust schools have a shared vision and purpose: to deliver outstanding educational experiences that lead to inspiring outcomes. Each academy has a strong individual identity and tailors their educational provision to serve their local community. Academies within the trust collaborate to share expertise and maximise opportunities and experiences for our students.
In order to support colleagues we have a full CPD programme for staff at all stages of their career both internally and externally. We understand the challenges of working in our profession and have an active Well-being Committee and Workload Committee who focus on promoting a healthy work life balance.
About Grace Academy Coventry
Grace Academy Coventry aims to develop well educated, considerate and caring citizens with a strong sense of values who will succeed in, and contribute to modern society. At Grace Academy, we believe that excellent teaching and support, world-class facilities and outstanding resources combine to give our students the best possible preparation for their adult life. The Grace Academies joined Tove Learning Trust in 2019.
- Wigston Road, Coventry, West Midlands, CV2 2RH
- Grace Academy Coventry website (opens in a new window)