Head of Department Geography
We are seeking to appoint a dynamic, enthusiastic and well qualified Head of Department Geography to lead the department and take responsibility for the development of the geography curriculum.
Keen to challenge young people with opportunities they may not know they even exist yet? We aim to raise pupils’ aspirations so they begin to believe in themselves and understand that there is nothing holding them back, including where they happen to live or their family’s experience in education.
Shenley Academy is under new Leadership, and the new Headteacher will be working with the staff to drive our Ethos of Inspiring & Aspiring our students to achieve. We know that the life chances of our students are determined by inspirational teachers like you.
How can you help to inspire our Students?
We are searching for a Head of Department Geography, who will inspire our students in the classroom by delivering innovative curricula and by giving them the confidence of to think big for themselves as they progress through our academy.
For a full job description of the role, see the job description and job specification. We encourage you to get in touch with any questions; better still, come and see us for yourself.
A forward-thinking 11-18 academy set in a 37 acre site in Birmingham. We aim to provide the very best education to give our students the brightest possible future.
Come and join our team
Quite aside from the opportunity to work with pupils whose energy, creativity and enthusiasm never fail to inspire, our academy is:
• Committed to teacher development through E-ACT’s professional learning programme in partnership with leading training providers such as Ambition School Leadership
• Leading the way in youth mental health through our very own Mental Health First Aid programme – we aim to train every teacher as a mental health first aider.
• A leader in the education sector for outstanding employee benefits including a generous maternity policy and opportunities for flexible working.
A great place to work and live
The largest British city after London, Birmingham is also home to seven E – A C T academies.
A city of great diversity, culture, history, art and design and with HS2 in development, London will soon be just 49 minutes away.
Shenley Academy is an ambitious, over-subscribed secondary school, with high academic and behaviour expectations. We are looking for an enthusiastic teacher, with the vision, drive and commitment to lead our Geography Department. We are looking for professionals with ambitions to deliver excellent classroom practice, who have high expectations of students’ attainment and behaviour and possess good organisational and communication skills. A commitment to extra-curricular activities would be expected.
We offer a full trainee and NQT support and induction package and the successful candidate will be able to make use of the E-ACT exciting and in-depth CPD programme.
E-ACT is about improving schools. We do this through a relentless focus on building strong teaching and learning, inspiring curriculums, effective standard operating procedures and embedding a culture based on our values of thinking big, doing the right thing and showing team spirit.
How to apply
The closing date for applications is Monday 20th January 2020 – 12 Noon
Completed applications to be sent to: Ruth.Evans@E-ACT.org.uk
Essential educational requirements
Essential skills and experience
At least three years’ experience as a classroom teacher in a mainstream secondary setting
• Experience of leadership roles within a team including designing and developing resources to support learning.
• Experience of working with other staff across a wide range of areas to extend their understanding of educational issues.
• Experience of robust self-evaluation and development planning linked to this
• Experience of coaching other staff so that their classroom practice develops.
• Experience of preparing and leading training sessions.
• Be a professional role model
About Shenley Academy
We are an E-ACT academy and proud to be part of a community that includes over 18,000 pupils and 2,300 teaching and non-teaching professionals across the country. E-ACT multi-academy trust is responsible for 29 academies across the length and breadth of England. Our academies can collaborate and share ideas with one another in ways that schools may not be able to. Most importantly, we all feel part of something much bigger as our responsibilities go far beyond the four walls of a single academy, and extend to people and their communities across the country. E-ACT is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people and vulnerable adults, and all appointments are subject to enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks and satisfactory references. E-ACT is also committed to promoting equality, challenging discrimination and developing community cohesion. We welcome applications from all sections of the community.
- Shenley Lane, Birmingham, West Midlands, B29 4HE
- Shenley Academy website (opens in a new window)