Head of Girls' PE
Deadline is tomorrow
Start date details
27 March 2023 at 11:59pm
15 March 2023
- Key stage 3, Key stage 4, Key stage 5
- View all Full timejobs - Directed
Full-time equivalent salary
- MPS (Outer London) + £1,500 Harris Allowance + TLR
Performance and Loyalty Bonus + Pension scheme (TPS) + Harris Wellbeing Cash Plan + Additional Harris Benefits
What skills and experience we're looking for
Are you a passionate teacher looking for your next step? We are looking for a qualified, experienced teacher to join Harris Academy South Norwood as Head of Girls' PE at our Clocktower site.
The successful candidate will:
- Hold QTS (or equivalent) and a relevant undergraduate degree, and, ideally, management training
- Demonstrate successful teaching of GCSE at good or better level
Have experience of initiation and effective management of change
Show evidence of raising achievement in present post and showing good value added for groups
- Have knowledge of current curriculum developments in subject and their implications
- Have good knowledge and understanding of current educational thinking
- Show good understanding of how children learn and how to raise standards of achievement
- Have good communication skills in speech and writing
- Display excellent organisational skills
- Be able to build and sustain professional standards and relationships with students
- Be able to contribute towards creating a safe and protective environment
What the school offers its staff
If you are looking for a diverse school with clear and effective behaviour policies and systems, a visible and supportive leadership team, useful but not onerous CPD, and frequent opportunities for promotion, then we are the school for you. We believe that our students need great outcomes to open doors that will help them make the best of their lives. Our students behave well, and so they achieve well. This is a product of our excellent behaviour systems. We have 6 non-teaching Heads of Year who support behaviour and welfare and run a fully centralised detention system. Exemplary behaviour can only be achieved through a highly visible Senior Leadership team, and they are constantly touring the Academy. CPD is bespoke, first and foremost in the subject and grounded in tried and tested methods of effective teaching such as modelling, questioning, literacy, practice and consolidation. We don't engage with the latest fads. We believe the best approach to workload and wellbeing is to run a highly effective school with gives people purpose and avoids unnecessary work. Our sizeable department teams mean that despite our excellent retention rates, opportunities for promotion are frequent and exciting. Our four values of endeavour, kindness, respect and responsibility are at the heart of everything we do.
We are very fortunate to have excellent transport links to central London (some trains get to London Bridge in 11mins) and just 4 minutes on the train from East Croydon. The Clocktower campus is a 6 minute walk from Norwood Junction train station.
In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes our Harris Allowance for teachers on MPS/UPS, a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme, electric car scheme, a Wellbeing Cash Plan and many other benefits.
Further details about the role
The purpose of your role will be:
- To be accountable for leading, managing and developing the subject area.
- To raise standards of student attainment and achievement within the whole subject/curriculum area and to monitor and support student progress.
- To ensure the provision of an appropriately broad, balanced, relevant and differentiated curriculum for students studying in the department, in accordance with the aims of the academy and the curricular policies determined by the Governing Body and Principal.
- To teach the relevant subject across the age and ability range.
- To facilitate and encourage a learning experience which provides students with the opportunity to achieve their individual potential.
- To effectively manage and deploy staff, financial and physical resources within the department.
- To share and support the school's responsibility to provide and monitor opportunities for personal and academic growth.
Your main areas of responsibility will fall under the areas of:
- Operational and strategic planning (including formulating the subject and faculty improvement plans, and leading the development of appropriate syllabuses, resources, schemes of work, marking policies, assessment and teaching strategies)
- Ensuring the delivery of an appropriate, comprehensive, high quality and cost effective curriculum and leading development of the subject and its delivery
- Staff development (including recruiting, building and managing an effective team of motivated staff)
- Student outcomes (including ensuring the effective operation of target setting, monitoring and evaluation systems and the input and maintenance of accurate student data)
- Pastoral system (including being a form tutor to a selected group of students)
- Teaching, including acting as an outstanding role model
Commitment to safeguarding
Applying for the job
Apply for the job by following the link belowMore on how to apply (opens in new tab)
About Harris Academy South Norwood
- School type
- Academy, ages 11 to 19
- Education phase
- View all Secondaryjobs
- School size
- 2116 pupils enrolled
- Age range
- 11 to 19
- Ofsted report
- View Ofsted report (opens in new tab)
- School website
- Harris Academy South Norwood website (opens in new tab)
- Email address
- Phone number
- 0208 405 5070
Located five minutes from Norwood Junction train station, a transport hub ten minutes' train journey from London Bridge, Harris Academy South Norwood has belonging and personal growth as our touchstones. We believe that teaching students powerful knowledge and developing their understanding of the world will help them become the best version of themselves: to help them to turn mirrors into windows.
Similar jobs nearby
Tithepit Shaw Lane, Warlingham, Surrey, CR6 9YB
Harris Academy Peckham
112 Peckham Road, London, SE15 5DZ
Head of Performing Arts for September 2023 or earlier
Hornsey School for Girls
Inderwick Road, London, N8 9JF
The Hurlingham Academy
Peterborough Road, London, SW6 3ED
Get a job alert when similar jobs are listed
Find more school jobs in London