Head of MFL Department
Are you an ambitious, driven, creative languages leader looking for a Head of Modern Foreign Languages position in an outstanding school full of well-behaved and hardworking pupils? We are looking to appoint an outstanding practitioner determined to create an engaging curriculum and secure the best outcomes for students.
Selly Park Girls’ School is a high performing 11-16 school in the south of Birmingham with 700 girls on roll and a proven record of GCSE success. We are a successful, vibrant, happy and oversubscribed school. We consistently rank as one of the top 10 Local Authority schools in Birmingham in terms of student progress and have been rated as outstanding by Ofsted for a decade. The school has been judged as significantly above the UK average in progress for the past three years, consistently scoring within the top 20% of schools nationally. In 2018, the school were awarded Secondary School of the Year at the Birmingham School Awards and were winners of the SSAT Educational Outcomes Award 2018 for exceptional student progress.
The school is looking to appoint a well-qualified, excellent classroom practitioner to lead, manage and develop the provision of MFL teaching and learning within the school and to ensure appropriate, monitoring, analysis and evaluation. The successful applicant will be expected to lead the department’s strategic and operational development. We are seeking to appoint an enthusiastic individual who is keen to take advantage of our teacher development programmes and further enhance pupil progress.
Visitors to Selly Park Girls’ School comment on the ‘distinctive inclusive ethos’ that is tangible in every area of school life, from classroom to corridor and in relationships between pupils, staff and parents.
Essential educational requirements
• QTS status
• Qualification to the equivalent of degree level in a relevant subject.
• Further relevant qualification in languages desirable.
Essential skills and experience
• Drive and ambition to strategically lead a core subject and with the vision of excellence.
• Ability and desire to lead and inspire a team of highly qualified and hard working MFL teachers.
• Ability and skill to develop (and retain) talented MFL teachers especially those relatively new to the profession.
• Willingness to develop links with other schools and the local MFL Hub in a bid to improve the experience and outcomes for all students.
• Expertise in the knowledge and understanding of MFLs at KS3 and KS4, and a firm understanding of strategies that improve understanding.
• Excellent classroom practitioner with evidence of setting appropriate expectations to advance learning and engage and motivate students.
• Ability to encourage and maintain an excellent standard of discipline in the classroom through well focused teaching, positive relationships and good classroom management.
About Selly Park Girls' School
Selly Park Girls’ School is a high performing 11-16 school in the south of Birmingham with 700 girls on roll and a proven record of GCSE success. In 2018, the school were awarded Secondary School of the Year at the Birmingham School Awards and were winners of the SSAT Educational Outcomes Award 2018 for exceptional student progress. We are a school where we put students at the centre. We want every student to be kind to others, aspirational and ambitious in what they can achieve. We want to ensure that our students can reach their potential in a supportive, inclusive and nurturing environment. This is reflected in our four pillars school ethos. We attract staff who are committed to making a difference in the lives of our pupils. From teachers, governors and senior leaders to administrators and support staff. Everyone has a role to play in the success of the school.
- 5 Selly Park Road, Birmingham, West Midlands, B29 7PH
- LA Maintained School
- Selly Park Girls' School website (opens in a new window)