Head of Social Science
26 days remaining to apply
Start date details
17 April 2023 at 11:59pm
14 November 2022
- Key stage 3, Key stage 4, Key stage 5
- View all Full timejobs - Directed
Full-time equivalent salary
- MPS/UPS (Outer London) + £1,500 Harris Allowance + TLR
Performance and Loyalty Bonus + Harris Wellbeing Cash Plan + Pension Scheme (TPS) + Additional Harris Benefits
What skills and experience we're looking for
We are looking for a qualified, experienced teacher to join Harris Girls' Academy as Head of Social Science.
The ideal candidate will have to be able to teach Psychology.
The successful candidate will:
- Hold QTS (or equivalent) and a relevant undergraduate degree, and, ideally, management training
- Demonstrate successful teaching of GCSE at good or better level
Have experience of initiation and effective management of change
Show evidence of raising achievement in present post and showing good value added for groups
- Have knowledge of current curriculum developments in subject and their implications
- Have good knowledge and understanding of current educational thinking
- Show good understanding of how children learn and how to raise standards of achievement
- Have good communication skills in speech and writing
- Display excellent organisational skills
- Be able to build and sustain professional standards and relationships with students
- Be able to contribute towards creating a safe and protective environment
What the school offers its staff
Harris Girls' Academy Bromley is a thriving, diverse and academically successful school for girls in New Beckenham. Our GCSE results are amongst the best in the country with progress being amongst the most successful schools nationally. We passionately believe in educating young women for the future and with specialisms in Science and Enterprise we are working hard to create opportunities for girls to be successful in English and maths as well as more traditional subjects like Classics and Latin.
Along with other single sex schools in Beckenham, we welcome boys and girls to join us in the Sixth Form and we are very proud of the contribution that they both make to the school. We are also founding members of the highly successful Harris Federation Sixth Form.
Our people are at the heart of our success. We have developed a strong culture of collaboration and best practice, with professional development and career planning at its centre. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of top-quality training programmes delivered at every level to senior leadership.We look for talented individuals who share our vision for creating exceptional places of learning, and are committed to ensuring that every child in London has access to the best possible education.In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes our Harris Allowance for teachers on MPS/UPS, a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme, electric car scheme, a Wellbeing Cash Plan and many other benefits.
Further details about the role
The purpose of your role will be:
- To be accountable for leading, managing and developing the subject area.
- To raise standards of student attainment and achievement within the whole subject/curriculum area and to monitor and support student progress.
- To ensure the provision of an appropriately broad, balanced, relevant and differentiated curriculum for students studying in the department, in accordance with the aims of the academy and the curricular policies determined by the Governing Body and Principal.
- To teach the relevant subject across the age and ability range.
- To facilitate and encourage a learning experience which provides students with the opportunity to achieve their individual potential.
- To effectively manage and deploy staff, financial and physical resources within the department.
- To share and support the school's responsibility to provide and monitor opportunities for personal and academic growth.
Your main areas of responsibility will fall under the areas of:
- Operational and strategic planning (including formulating the subject and faculty improvement plans, and leading the development of appropriate syllabuses, resources, schemes of work, marking policies, assessment and teaching strategies)
- Ensuring the delivery of an appropriate, comprehensive, high quality and cost effective curriculum and leading development of the subject and its delivery
- Staff development (including recruiting, building and managing an effective team of motivated staff)
- Student outcomes (including ensuring the effective operation of target setting, monitoring and evaluation systems and the input and maintenance of accurate student data)
- Pastoral system (including being a form tutor to a selected group of students)
- Teaching, including acting as an outstanding role model
Commitment to safeguarding
Applying for the job
Apply for the job by following the link belowMore on how to apply (opens in new tab)
About Harris Girls Academy Bromley
- School type
- Academy, ages 11 to 18
- Education phase
- View all Secondaryjobs
- School size
- 1027 pupils enrolled
- Age range
- 11 to 18
- Ofsted report
- View Ofsted report (opens in new tab)
- School website
- Harris Girls Academy Bromley website (opens in new tab)
- Email address
- Phone number
- 020 8778 5917
Harris Girls’ Academy Bromley is the number one school in Bromley for progress and one of the most successful schools in the country, with progress being amongst the top 1% of schools this year at +1.09 (Progress 8 2017). We are very proud of our academic and cultural achievements and are ambitious about the future. At Harris Girls’ Academy Bromley, we aim to ensure that every student is inspired and supported to achieve her personal best in a creative and enterprising culture where learning comes first. Through the development of our learning ethos of CORE, we encourage the girls to become Committed, Optimistic, Resilient and Enterprising. We believe that every girl can and should achieve their full potential and our commitment is one of ensuring our students develop a love of learning, a passion for enquiry and enterprise and a dedication to being the best that they can be. Harris Girls’ Academy Bromley is an outstanding school, offering students and staff state-of-the-art facilities in new and recently refurbished buildings. Our examination results place us amongst the very best in the country and we believe that with high quality teaching and support our girls will become responsible and successful in their chosen paths. We believe that teaching is a craft and continually strive to become even better at it; our high quality CPD supports ambitious and hardworking colleagues to make a real difference to the lives of our students. If you are passionate about your subject, committed to your own learning and keen to make a difference; this could be the academy for you. Come and see us in action: visits to Harris Girls' Academy Bromley are strongly encouraged and very welcome. Please call 020 8778 5917 or email email@example.com to arrange a time to come in or an informal conversation with the Principal.
Similar jobs nearby
Get a job alert when similar jobs are listed
Find more school jobs in Kent and Medway